Can a Non-Symmetric Metric Tensor Raise and Lower Indices in General Relativity?

• Thread starter Physicist97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Indices
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a non-symmetric metric tensor in Einstein's theory of General Relativity. It is questioned whether such a metric would still have the property of raising and lowering indices, and the idea of constructing a non-symmetric metric is explored. The topic is related to the understanding of mathematical symbols and the limits of self-studying GR. The conversation suggests that practice with tensors may be helpful in comprehending the concept of a non-symmetric metric.
Physicist97
Hello! New here, so please bare with me :). I am not entirely sure if this was the best forum to ask this question, so if it is not within the topic of GR, please say so. In Einstein's theory of General Relativity the metric tensor is symmetric and has the property of lowering and raising the indices of a tensor. If we were to construct a metric that was not symmetric, would it still have this property?
Assuming ##g_{\mu\nu}\neq g_{\nu\mu}## , than ##g_{\mu\nu}A^{\mu}_{\alpha}\neq g_{\nu\mu}A^{\mu}_{\alpha}## . This would mean that you could not simply lower the indice of this tensor. So, can a non-symmetric metric tensor hold the property that it raises and lowers indices, and if it does, how would you go about raising and lowering indices.
Thank you, and also, I have a poor understanding of mathematical symbols. My knowledge of the mathematics of differential geometry are the bare minimum for self-studying GR. To give you an idea of my limits, I have watched Leonard Susskind's free online lectures on GR (by Stanford), and have read Sean Carroll's lecture notes on GR. I have not been able to comprehend General Relativity by Wald.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you just need some practice with tensors.

The metric is a tensor ... so what happens when you use a non-symmeric tensor on another tensor?

The metric is special: is it possible to construct a non-symmetric metric.

Hint: what does the metric define, particularly for objects in the tangent space?

Related to Can a Non-Symmetric Metric Tensor Raise and Lower Indices in General Relativity?

What is the purpose of raising and lowering indices?

The purpose of raising and lowering indices is to simplify and manipulate algebraic expressions involving exponents. It allows for easier computation and solution of equations.

What is the difference between raising and lowering indices?

Raising indices involves changing the base and exponent of a term to a power of the original exponent. Lowering indices involves changing the base and exponent of a term to a power of the reciprocal of the original exponent.

What are the rules for raising and lowering indices?

The rules for raising and lowering indices include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and negative exponent rule. These rules dictate how to manipulate and simplify expressions involving indices.

How do I raise or lower indices with multiple terms?

If there are multiple terms in an expression, the rules for raising and lowering indices still apply. Each term must be raised or lowered individually, while keeping the rest of the expression unchanged.

Can I use raising and lowering indices in any algebraic expression?

Yes, raising and lowering indices can be used in any algebraic expression that involves exponents. However, it is important to follow the rules and properly apply the operations to simplify the expression correctly.