Can a Molecule Share 4 Bonded Electrons?

In summary, some molecules can share 4 pairs of bonded electrons, such as metal-metal bonds in complexes. This is due to overlap between d-orbitals, producing a delta bond. However, this is not possible for carbon due to its tetrahedral geometry. The highest observed bond is a sextuple bond, sharing 12 electrons. It has been observed in molecules containing molybdenum and can affect the physical properties, potentially making them ultra hard or unreactive.
_wolfgang_
I am wandering whether this can happen? When a molecule shares 4 pairs of bonded electons? Say like a C2 Molecule?? maybe. Could it happen or does it happen??

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, but not for carbon.

The reason carbon can't four-bond is because of its tetrahedral geometry. Even with only half of the orbitals hybridized, one orbital on each carbon atom will still face "away" from the bond.

As it turns out, quadruple bonds, pentuple bonds, and even a sextuple bond have all been observed. Where? Metal-metal bonds in complexes, especially the heavier metals with loose electrons. I believe Tungsten and Rhenium both exhibit this odd behavior.

My theory as to why this happens? d-orbitals.

Char. Limit said:
My theory as to why this happens? d-orbitals.

Correct. Overlap between d-orbitals in metal-metal covalent bonds can produce a delta bond which is required to explain quadruple bonding species.

Haha! I knew it!

Thanks for proving me right. Honestly, sometimes physics is so screwed up I think the intuitive answer, though right in this case, could ever be correct.

Specifically I remember about some Rhenium and Technetium compounds with a formal Re-Re or Tc-Tc double bond.

Doesn't mean it can't be higher as well.

Hmm so can actually happen just not with carbon, i get why now because of its tetrahedral shape. Also is there any special names for these substances, as well as would you know what the most amount of bonds there are possible?

I don't know about the names, but I can tell you that the highest order bond observed is a sextuple bond, sharing 12 electrons.

Ok cool i see this happens molybdenum. Also what would happen to phsical properties? ultra hard? Ultra unreactive?

Related to Can a Molecule Share 4 Bonded Electrons?

1. Can a molecule share 4 bonded electrons?

Yes, a molecule can share 4 bonded electrons. This is known as a double bond and is commonly seen in molecules such as carbon dioxide (CO2) and oxygen (O2).

2. How does a molecule share 4 bonded electrons?

A molecule shares 4 bonded electrons through a process called covalent bonding. This occurs when atoms share their outermost electrons to achieve a stable electron configuration.

3. What is the significance of a molecule sharing 4 bonded electrons?

The sharing of 4 bonded electrons allows for the formation of strong bonds between atoms, making molecules more stable. This is important for the structure and function of many compounds in living organisms.

4. Can a molecule have more than one set of 4 bonded electrons?

Yes, a molecule can have multiple sets of 4 bonded electrons. This is known as multiple bonding and can occur in molecules such as nitrogen (N2) and ethene (C2H4).

5. How does the sharing of 4 bonded electrons affect the geometry of a molecule?

The sharing of 4 bonded electrons can influence the shape of a molecule, as it affects the arrangement of atoms and the distance between them. For example, molecules with double bonds tend to have a linear shape, while molecules with single bonds have a more bent or angular shape.