Can a loud inaudible sound drown out audible noise?

In summary: I suspect that is the wrong interpretation ... that's just a displacement of the sound wave.No, sounds are additive.
ChromeBit
To the best of my knowledge: a powerful oscillation at one frequency means more energy is required to make same medium oscillate at another frequency.

Since sound perception works by detection of air oscillation, could a sufficiently powerful oscillation at an inaudible frequency (to humans) hearing drown out any audible noise?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, sounds are additive.

I do think there may be some merit to the OP's input. Even atmospheric turbulence, basically inaudible, can adversely affect the propagation of sound. I have limited expertise in this area, but I think the OP's post deserves further consideration.

ChromeBit said:
To the best of my knowledge: a powerful oscillation at one frequency means more energy is required to make same medium oscillate at another frequency.

Since sound perception works by detection of air oscillation, could a sufficiently powerful oscillation at an inaudible frequency (to humans) hearing drown out any audible noise?

Are you asking about noise canceling headphones?

anorlunda said:
Are you asking about noise canceling headphones?
The OP needs to respond, but I interpreted the question to be that of trying to quiet a sound that originated from faraway by disrupting the atmosphere between the source and the listener with acoustical sources that are inaudible.

Charles Link said:
Even atmospheric turbulence, basically inaudible, can adversely affect the propagation of sound.
Charles Link said:
The OP needs to respond, but I interpreted the question to be that of trying to quiet a sound that originated from faraway by disrupting the atmosphere between the source and the listener with acoustical sources that are inaudible.

I suspect that is the wrong interpretation ... that's just a displacement of the sound wave

yes he does to clarify @ChromeBit ?his OP reads like 2 sound sources side by side ( or at least in close proximity) ...
will the hi level low and inaudible low freq one drown out the audible one ??

Dave

Related to Can a loud inaudible sound drown out audible noise?

1. Can a loud inaudible sound really drown out audible noise?

Yes, it is possible for a loud inaudible sound to drown out audible noise. This phenomenon, known as the "detection threshold," occurs when the inaudible sound is at a high enough frequency and intensity to cause the ear to tune out or ignore the audible noise.

2. How loud does the inaudible sound need to be to drown out the audible noise?

The loudness of the inaudible sound needed to drown out audible noise varies depending on a number of factors, including the frequency and intensity of both the inaudible and audible sounds, as well as the individual's hearing capabilities. In general, the inaudible sound needs to be significantly louder than the audible noise to have a noticeable effect.

3. Can any type of inaudible sound drown out audible noise?

No, not all inaudible sounds have the ability to drown out audible noise. The inaudible sound must be at a frequency and intensity that can cause the ear to ignore the audible noise. Additionally, the inaudible sound cannot be too loud or intense, as this can actually cause hearing damage.

4. Are there any negative effects of using inaudible sound to drown out audible noise?

While inaudible sound can be effective at drowning out audible noise, it is important to use caution and not expose oneself to high levels of inaudible sound for extended periods of time. This can potentially cause hearing damage and other negative effects on one's health.

5. Is there any scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of using inaudible sound to drown out audible noise?

Yes, there have been studies that have shown the effectiveness of using inaudible sound to drown out audible noise. However, more research is needed in this area to fully understand the potential benefits and risks of this method.