Can a Linear Operator Define This Specific Polynomial Transformation?

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curious
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a function in the space of polynomials of degree less than or equal to n with real coefficients. The function is defined as f(b_nx^n + b_{n - 1}x^{n - 1} + \dots + b_0) = a_nb_nx^n + \dots + a_0b_0 and it is a linear operator. The conversation also clarifies the notation of the real constants and the coefficients in the function. The function can also be expressed as a vector with coefficients.
bomba923
Well, this problem is kinda dumb; it's in the GIF image file that I attached...
a,b,c,d,...,z are all real constants, and 'n' is natural; I was wondering if
such a function would exist...for the real constants a,b,c,d,...,z
(filename is polyprobgif.gif and sumformul.gif)

Attachments

• polyprobgif.gif
    polyprobgif.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 534
  • sumformula.gif
    sumformula.gif
    471 bytes · Views: 464
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How does it get to z?

Is it n-25 = 0 so zx^0 = z?

Of course. Let [itex]P_n(\mathbb{R})[/itex] be the space of polynomials of degree less than or equal to n with real coefficients. Since your notation is confusing, instead of a, b, c, ..., z being real constants, let's call them [itex]a_0, a_1, \dots , a_n[/itex]. Then f is an operator on [itex]P_n(\mathbb{R})[/itex] which maps a polynomial [itex]b_nx^n + b_{n - 1}x^{n - 1} + \dots + b_0[/itex] to [itex]a_nb_nx^n + \dots + a_0b_0[/itex].

What would be the equation/formula for this function? By the way, can there exist some value 'phi' whose product with the sum will yield this series? <<the attached file phigif.gif has the problem>>--what would be the formula to get the value of phi (possibly some math operations with a,b,c,d,e,f...?)?

Attachments

• phigif.gif
    phigif.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:
Your notation is still confusing, is n=25? If that's not what you mean, have a look at AKG's post and the use of subscripts to deal with an arbitrary number of coefficients.

You have [tex]\Phi(x)f(x)=g(x)[/tex] (can I assume your dot means multiply?) and you want to find [tex]\Phi(x)[/tex]. Just take [tex]{\mbox\Phi(x)=g(x)/f(x)}[/tex] for x not a zero of f, whatever you like at the zeros of f, and hope that all the zeros of f are also zeros of g.

edit-You said "value of [tex]\Phi[/tex]" multiple times, if you were hoping that [tex]\Phi[/tex] was a constant (and not dependant on x) then I should say you'd need all the coefficients on the right to be equal (otherwise it's impossible). Then take [tex]\Phi[/tex] to be this common value.

Last edited:
Could you please clarify what you're asking? You're asking for a function f such that:

[tex]f(b_nx^n + b_{n - 1}x^{n - 1} + \dots + b_0) = a_nb_nx^n + a_{n - 1}b_{n - 1}x^{n - 1} + \dots + a_0b_0,[/tex]

where, in your example,

[tex]b_n = b_{n - 1} = \dots = b_0 = 1[/tex]

and

[tex]a_n = a,\ a_{n - 1} = b,\ a_{n - 2} = c,\ a_0 = z?[/tex]

Is this not what you're asking? If so, then I've already given the answer:

[tex]f(b_nx^n + \dots + b_0) = a_nb_nx^n + \dots + a_0b_0[/tex]

This function takes its argument from the space of n degree (or less) polynomials with real coefficients, and returns another polynomial from the same space but with different coefficients. It is a linear operator. If we choose

[tex]\{x^n,\ x^{n - 1},\ \dots ,\ x,\ 1\}[/tex]

to be a basis of our space, then we can express polynomials as vectors by their coefficients. So, we'd have:

[tex]f(b_n,\ b_{n - 1},\ \dots ,\ b_0) = (a_nb_n,\ a_{n - 1}b_{n - 1},\ \dots ,\ a_0b_0)[/tex]

Specifically, if we have the vector (polynomial) like the one in your example, namely, (1, 1, 1, ..., 1), then we get:

[tex]f(1,\ 1,\ 1,\ \dots ,\ 1) = (a_n,\ a_{n - 1},\ \dots ,\ a_0)[/tex]

Just like you wanted. Just recall that I'm replacing

[tex]a,\ b,\ c,\ d,\ \dots ,\ z[/tex]

with the less confusing

[tex]a_n,\ a_{n - 1},\ \dots ,\ a_0,[/tex]

since I assume you didn't mean for there to only be 26 numbers, just n of them.

Last edited:

Related to Can a Linear Operator Define This Specific Polynomial Transformation?

1. Why is it a dumb question?

This question may be considered dumb because it assumes that there are certain questions that are inherently "dumb." However, all questions have value and can lead to learning and understanding.

2. Why should I be curious about a dumb question?

Curiosity is a key component of scientific inquiry and learning. By being curious about seemingly "dumb" questions, we can uncover new perspectives and ideas that can further our understanding of a topic.

3. Is there such a thing as a dumb question?

Some people may argue that there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. However, others may say that there are some questions that are unproductive or irrelevant. Ultimately, the value of a question depends on the context and the intention behind asking it.

4. Should I be afraid to ask a dumb question?

No, you should not be afraid to ask any question, no matter how "dumb" it may seem. Asking questions is a crucial part of the scientific process and can lead to important discoveries and breakthroughs.

5. How can I encourage others to ask "dumb" questions?

To encourage others to ask questions, create a safe and non-judgmental environment where all questions are welcomed and respected. Emphasize the importance of curiosity and the value of all questions, no matter how simple or complex they may be.