Can a Hydrogen Atom Decay Into a Neutron?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of neutrons, protons, and electrons in relation to the elementary particle equation and the behavior of hydrogen atoms. The question is posed of whether a hydrogen atom can decay into a neutron and the answer is explained through the principles of the weak interaction and energy conservation. The conversation also briefly mentions entropy and the energy required for the decay process.
jackle
A long time ago, when I did my degree I was taught that Neutrons have a half life of (about 10 minutes?). I also remember that the elementry particle equation was:

N <-> P+e.

Now, a proton plus an electron could look a lot like a hydrogen atom and I also remember that the electron in a hydrogen atom at it's lowest allowed energy does a figure 8 through the nucleus with a node in it's centre. The proton has a small radius, I know, but it seems like the electron would occasionally be in the proton? I am also thinking of the energy being negotiable because of the HUP.

Now I am probably sounding confused.

The question I would like to ask is:

Is there a probability (perhaps a very small one) that a hydrogen atom can decay into a neutron? Why/Why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
It works the other way around. A neutron can decay into a proton and an electron, plus an antineutrino, via the weak interaction. But that's not because the neutron has the proton and electron inside it; it's because the weak force can turn one kind of quark into another, and conservation of charge has to be satisfied in the cheapest way possible.

Yeah, I think they taught me that, it was just too long ago.

What stops the process happening in reverse?

Happy birthday by the way. I just noticed!

err, so is it an entropy thing then?

jackle said:
Happy birthday by the way. I just noticed!

Thank you.

The reason it doesn't run in reverse is that there isn't enough energy. The weak decay is energetically downhill,and inverse weak decay is uphill.

Any idea how much energy?

Related to Can a Hydrogen Atom Decay Into a Neutron?

What is the difference between neutrons and hydrogen atoms?

Neutrons are subatomic particles that have no charge, while hydrogen atoms consist of a nucleus with one proton and one electron.

Why are neutrons important in the structure of hydrogen atoms?

Neutrons help stabilize the nucleus of hydrogen atoms, preventing the positively charged protons from repelling each other and causing the atom to break apart.

How do neutrons and hydrogen atoms interact?

Neutrons can interact with hydrogen atoms through processes such as nuclear fusion or fission, which can release large amounts of energy.

What is the role of neutrons in nuclear reactions?

Neutrons play a crucial role in nuclear reactions, as they can be absorbed by atoms and cause them to become unstable and undergo nuclear changes.

Can neutrons and hydrogen atoms be found in isolation?

Neutrons and hydrogen atoms are rarely found in isolation, as they tend to bond with other particles or atoms to form molecules or compounds.