Can a human survive a 7-story jump into water?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Break
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of surviving a high fall into water, with one person wondering about the force needed to disable a person's body and break their bones. Various examples and techniques are mentioned, including using a rock to break the water's surface and landing flat on one's face and body. It is ultimately concluded that unless one is a trained athlete or stuntman, it is highly likely that they will break bones from such a fall. The conversation also references a Mythbusters episode where they tested falls into water vs concrete and found that a fall from 75 ft (~23m) resulted in a 29g force.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

I am just wondering because i saw this show (cartoonish) where this guy jumped from an apartment of 7 floors (I say it's about 30m tall?) into the water (for some reason the apartment is build over the ocean).

Here is a picture. I wanted to use spoiler because it is kinda big but doesn't work.

[PLAIN]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7531/unledvo.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

The person who jumped was a high school student guy, so I say he weighs about 65kg??

I don't know what is the force necessary to disable his body and break his bones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on how the person falls, their bones may not break but I am told that if you jump at a height of around 100 ft (about 30 m), then you are guaranteed to die or break a bone.

People can be lucky. I seem to recall one or two parachutists who landed in a field, without their chute opening, yet sustained no broken bones. Falling from a great height into a ridiculously-shallow pool of water (just a few inches depth) is another impressive feat that some manage, and, more impressively, manage repeatedly.

I have heard that the trick to surviving a long fall into still water is to break the surface with something other than your feet--such as throwing a rock to where you will hit just before you make contact so it gets there a brief moment ahead of you and breaks the water surface. Might bear that in mind next time you buy a ticket for air travel over water... :wink: :wink:

Of course, your diving exhibitionist might be saved broken bones by the titanium rods already piecing his legs together? :smile:

NascentOxygen said:
I have heard that the trick to surviving a long fall into still water is to break the surface with something other than your feet--such as throwing a rock to where you will hit just before you make contact so it gets there a brief moment ahead of you and breaks the water surface. Might bear that in mind next time you buy a ticket for air travel over water... :wink: :wink:

What happens if your head hits the rock?

The person lands on the water flat on his face and body

flyingpig said:
What happens if your head hits the rock?

It won't hurt. The broken neck should see to that, from diving headfirst.

The person lands on the water flat on his face and body

Yes, that's how divers into shallow water aim to fall. Obviously, if you've watched the Olympic divers, diving headfirst into water of less than 4 or 5 metres depth is not worth attempting. Spreading your weight over as great an area as possible appears to be the technique aimed for by the showmen diving into shallow pools.

Last edited:
So will you break bones or not!?

Unless you are a trained and extensively practised athlete cum stuntman, almost certainly will you break bones. Sudden stops can cause internal damage, such as a ruptured spleen, or ripping the aorta from the heart, etc. Stuff that bed rest alone won't heal. :-)

Last edited:

Related to Can a human survive a 7-story jump into water?

1. What are the most common bones that people break?

The most commonly broken bones are the wrist, collarbone, ankle, and hip.

2. How long does it take for a broken bone to heal?

The healing time for a broken bone can vary depending on the severity of the break and the individual's overall health. Generally, it can take 4-8 weeks for a simple fracture to heal and up to several months for more complex fractures.

3. What are the signs and symptoms of a broken bone?

Some common signs and symptoms of a broken bone include pain, swelling, bruising, difficulty moving the affected area, and deformity or misalignment of the bone.

4. How do doctors treat a broken bone?

Treatment for a broken bone typically involves immobilizing the affected area with a cast, splint, or brace to allow the bone to heal. In some cases, surgery may be necessary to realign the bone or insert plates, screws, or rods to hold the bone in place during healing.

5. What can I do to prevent breaking a bone?

To prevent breaking a bone, it is important to maintain strong and healthy bones through a balanced diet rich in calcium and vitamin D, regular weight-bearing exercise, and avoiding risky activities or behaviors that may lead to falls or accidents.