Can a Flywheel Efficiently Power a Low-Pollution Car for Long Distances?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a low-pollution automobile using a heavy rotating flywheel for energy storage. The car has a total mass of 1400 kg and uses a uniform cylindrical flywheel of diameter 1.90 m and mass 210 kg. Under reasonable assumptions, the total energy needed to be stored in the flywheel is estimated to be 1.65*10^8. The angular velocity of the flywheel when it has a full "energy charge" is unknown. It would take a 150 hp motor some time to give the flywheel a full energy charge before a trip. The average velocity for the entire trip is calculated to be 12.9167 m/s, with an acceleration of
LBloom

Homework Statement

"One possibility for a low-pollution automobile is for it to use energy stored in a heavy rotating flywheel. Suppose such a car has a total mass of 1400 kg, uses a uniform cylindrical flywheel of diameter 1.90 m and mass 210 kg, and should be able to travel 330 km without needing a flywheel "spinup."

a)Make reasonable assumptions (average frictional retarding force = 500 N, twenty acceleration periods from rest to 93 km/h, equal uphill and downhill, and that energy can be put back into the flywheel as the car goes downhill), and estimate what total energy needs to be stored in the flywheel.
b)What is the angular velocity of the flywheel when it has a full "energy charge"?
c)About how long would it take a 150-\rm hp motor to give the flywheel a full energy charge before a trip?

Homework Equations

Kfw=1/2*I*[tex]\omega[/tex]^2
I=1/2*Mfw*R^2
Frictional Work: W=Ffd

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the km/h to m/s, to get that the car maxes out at (155/6) m/s
I converted km to m, to get that the total trip was 330000m

I found that I=94.7625 and that the Wf=1.65*10^8
I assume that I calculate the acceleration to find the average velocity for the entire trip, although I'm not quite sure how to do that yet, but I'll get started on that. Honestly, I'm just confused what the significance of the fact that there are 20 acceleration periods. Could I divide the trip in 20, and figure out the work required for that distance and multiply it by 20, or is that unneeded?

Edit: I think I found the average velocity of the trip to be 12.9167 m/s. Can anyone tell me if I'm right or on the right track?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: So I think I figured out the acceleration. I took the difference between the max velocity and the average velocity and divided it by 20, to get that the acceleration was 0.443 m/s^2. Does this sound right?

I would like to comment on the use of a flywheel as a potential energy storage system for a low-pollution automobile. While it is true that flywheels can store large amounts of energy and can be used to power a vehicle without using fossil fuels, there are some limitations and challenges that need to be considered.

Firstly, the use of a flywheel in a car would require a significant amount of space and weight, as seen in the given scenario where the flywheel itself has a mass of 210 kg. This added weight and space could potentially affect the overall performance and efficiency of the car.

Secondly, the flywheel system would require a complex mechanism to transfer the energy from the flywheel to the wheels of the car, which can add to the cost and maintenance of the vehicle.

Additionally, the assumption that energy can be put back into the flywheel as the car goes downhill may not be realistic in real-world driving conditions. There may be situations where the car is not able to capture or store this energy, leading to a loss of efficiency.

In conclusion, while the idea of using a flywheel as an energy storage system for a low-pollution automobile is intriguing, further research and development is needed to address these limitations and make it a viable option for commercial use.

Related to Can a Flywheel Efficiently Power a Low-Pollution Car for Long Distances?

1. How does a car powered by flywheel work?

A car powered by flywheel works by using a flywheel, which is a rotating mechanical device, to store kinetic energy. The flywheel is connected to the engine and when the car is in motion, the flywheel spins and stores energy. When the car needs to accelerate, the energy stored in the flywheel is transferred to the wheels, providing power.

2. What are the advantages of a car powered by flywheel?

One advantage of a car powered by flywheel is that it is more energy efficient. The flywheel can store energy that is typically lost during braking, and use it to power the car when needed. This can result in improved fuel efficiency. Additionally, flywheel technology is more environmentally friendly as it produces fewer emissions compared to traditional combustion engines.

3. Are there any disadvantages of a car powered by flywheel?

One major disadvantage of a car powered by flywheel is its limited range. The flywheel can only store a certain amount of energy, so once it is depleted, the car will need to be recharged. This can make long distance travel challenging. Additionally, flywheel technology is still relatively new and may not be as widely available as traditional combustion engines.

4. How does a car powered by flywheel impact the driving experience?

A car powered by flywheel may have a different driving experience compared to traditional combustion engines. Since the flywheel provides power to the wheels, there may be a delay in acceleration as the energy is transferred. Additionally, the flywheel may make the car feel heavier, resulting in a different handling experience.

5. Is a car powered by flywheel safe?

Yes, a car powered by flywheel is generally considered safe. Flywheel technology has been extensively tested and is used in various applications such as hybrid vehicles and energy storage systems. However, as with any new technology, it is important for proper safety protocols and regulations to be in place to ensure the safety of both the driver and passengers.