Can a DC Current Replicate the Glow of Hydrogen Peroxide in Glow Sticks?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a DC current to excite the fluorescent dye in glow sticks and whether it would produce the same result as the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide. Simon suggests using voltage-sensitive dyes, commonly used in cell biology and neuroscience, to achieve this.
kateman
So from my understanding of glow sticks, the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide provides electrons that excites the fluorescent dye and gives off that classical glow-stick light source.

My question is, could one put a DC current over the solution and still theoretically obtain the same result? If not, what could be done to achieve it from the glow stick dye [other than to put more hydrogen peroxide in there]?

Thanks,
Kateman

Engineering news on Phys.org
So from my understanding of glow sticks, the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide provides electrons that excites the fluorescent dye
... that would not be a good understanding of how a glowstick works. Looking at the chemistry I don't see stray electrons there.

The other side of your question though: there are lots of ways to excite a florescent dye. You can certainly find a dye that will be excited in the presence of an electric field.

I take it you have used-up glow-sticks you'd like to see glow again?
I have not heard of them getting exited in electric fields. I have heard you can get them to light up again using heat. Not tried.

Simon Bridge said:
...there are lots of ways to excite a florescent dye. You can certainly find a dye that will be excited in the presence of an electric field.

Thanks Simon, much appreciated - can you please give an example of a dye that could do this with either an electric field or current? I tried looking it up, but did not return anything useful.

More like you'd look for voltage sensitive dyes - they are used in cell biology and neuroscience. iirc: usually some kind of florescing protein.

You'd put a vial of your dye between two charged plates :)

I can confirm that the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide is indeed what causes the glow in glow sticks. However, the use of a DC current to achieve a similar effect is not possible. The chemical reaction that occurs in glow sticks is specific to the mixture of ingredients used and cannot be replicated by simply applying an external current. In fact, attempting to do so could be dangerous and may result in a different chemical reaction altogether. Therefore, the best way to achieve the glow from the dye in a glow stick is by using the appropriate amount of hydrogen peroxide. Alternative methods, such as increasing the concentration of the dye, may also work but could potentially alter the desired effect. It is important to follow the instructions and use caution when handling any chemical substances.

Related to Can a DC Current Replicate the Glow of Hydrogen Peroxide in Glow Sticks?

What are glow sticks?

Glow sticks are small, plastic tubes filled with two chemicals - a dye and a peroxide solution. When the stick is bent, the inner glass ampoule containing the peroxide breaks, allowing it to mix with the dye. This chemical reaction creates a glow that can last for several hours.

How do glow sticks produce light?

The light produced by glow sticks is a result of a chemical reaction called chemiluminescence. When the two chemicals inside the stick mix, they release energy in the form of light. This reaction does not require any external source of energy, such as electricity, to produce light.

Can glow sticks be used as a source of electricity?

No, glow sticks cannot be used as a source of electricity. The chemical reaction that produces light in glow sticks does not generate any usable electrical energy. The light produced is simply a result of the chemical reaction and does not have the necessary components to be converted into electricity.

Can glow sticks conduct electricity?

No, glow sticks are not conductive and cannot conduct electricity. The chemicals inside the stick are non-metallic and do not have the necessary properties to conduct electricity. Attempting to use glow sticks as a source of electricity can be dangerous and is not recommended.

What is the role of electricity in making glow sticks work?

Electricity is not directly involved in the process of making glow sticks work. However, some glow sticks may contain a small battery-powered LED light that can be activated by cracking the stick. This LED light uses electricity to produce a brighter and longer-lasting glow compared to traditional chemical reactions.