Can a Continuous Curve Only Intersect a Differentiable Curve at the Origin?

In summary, the conversation discusses a conjecture about finding a continuous function that intersects with a differentiable curve only at the origin. The speaker also mentions a possible counterexample and the other person provides a specific example to demonstrate the issue.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
Hello MHB,

I have the following conjecture which I cannot seem to settle either way:

Let $f:[0,1]\to\mathbb R^2$ be a differentiable function such that $f(0)=(0,0)$.
Then there exists a continuous function $g:[0,1]\to\mathbb R^2$ such that:
1) $g(0)=(0,0)$
2) $g([0,1])\cap f([0,1])=\{(0,0)\}$.
3) $g$ is not a constant function. (Forgot to add this earlier.)

Basically what I am trying to prove is that if we have a differentiable curve in $\mathbb R^2$ whic passes through origin then we can find a continuous curve in $\mathbb R^2$ which intersects the gives curve only at origin.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with defining, say, g(x)= f(x)+ (x2, x2)?

HallsofIvy said:
What's wrong with defining, say, g(x)= f(x)+ (x2, x2)?
It might so happen that $g(x_1)=f(x_1)+(x_1^2,x_1^2)=f(x_2)\neq (0,0)$.

[From my phone by Tapatalk, so this has to be short. ]

Suppose $ f (t)=t^3 \sin (1/t) e^{i\pi/t} $, with $ f (0) =0$. This is differentiable, and I don't see how a function $ g $ can get away from the origin without crossing the graph of $ f $.

Last edited:

Dear [Name],

Thank you for sharing your conjecture with me. It is an interesting problem and I can see why you are having difficulty settling it. I have looked into it and unfortunately, I do not believe your conjecture is true.

To disprove your conjecture, I have found a counterexample. Consider the curve $f:[0,1]\to\mathbb R^2$ defined by $f(x)=(x^2,x^3)$ which is differentiable and passes through the origin. However, there does not exist a continuous function $g:[0,1]\to\mathbb R^2$ that satisfies all three conditions in your conjecture. This is because $f([0,1])$ is the parabola $y=x^2$ which intersects the curve $g([0,1])$ at the points $(0,0)$ and $(1,0)$. Therefore, your conjecture is not true in general.

However, I would encourage you to continue exploring this problem and see if you can modify your conjecture to make it true. Perhaps by adding additional conditions or restrictions, you can find a subset of differentiable curves for which your conjecture holds. Keep up the good work and don't be discouraged by this counterexample.

Best regards,

Related to Can a Continuous Curve Only Intersect a Differentiable Curve at the Origin?

1. What is the Curve Selection Conjecture?

The Curve Selection Conjecture is a mathematical hypothesis that states that for any set of points on a plane, there exists a continuous curve that passes through all of the points.

2. How is the Curve Selection Conjecture different from the Seven Bridges of Königsberg problem?

The Seven Bridges of Königsberg problem focuses on finding a route through a city that crosses each of its seven bridges exactly once, while the Curve Selection Conjecture is a mathematical problem that deals with finding a continuous curve through a set of points on a plane.

3. Has the Curve Selection Conjecture been proven?

No, the Curve Selection Conjecture has not been proven, and it remains an unsolved problem in mathematics.

4. What are some implications of the Curve Selection Conjecture?

If proven, the Curve Selection Conjecture would have significant implications in various fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and optimization algorithms. It would also provide a deeper understanding of the properties of continuous curves and their relationship to sets of points.

5. Are there any efforts being made to prove or disprove the Curve Selection Conjecture?

Yes, there are ongoing efforts by mathematicians to prove or disprove the Curve Selection Conjecture. However, it remains a challenging problem and has not yet been resolved.