Can a Check Valve Solution Make Water Flow Up a Pipe into a Rain Barrel?

In summary, the conversation is about extending a pipe from a flat roof to a rain barrel for use in a garden. The problem is that the pipe is lower than the opening of the rain barrel. Suggestions include using a check valve or a siphon to push the water up the incline, or simply extending the pipe back up to the top of the barrel and ensuring it is well sealed. Some discussion also revolves around the water levels in the pipe and barrel, and the use of a pump if necessary.
johnjackson112
Good day to you all, some of you may be able to help me with my problem. So I have a flat roof and I have a pipe that goes from the roof to the ground and it drains all the water. I want to extend the pipe to a rain barrel, so I can use it for the garden. The rain barrel has an opening at the top where the pipe should go to let out all the water. The problem is that the pipe is lower than where the opening of the rain barrel is. I thought of drilling a hole in the side of the rain barrel and putting a check valve there so the water can go into the rain barrel but not back into the pipe. I just want to know if that will work or if there is another way to like make water go up a pipe and into the rain barrel, thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think a check valve would work. The efficiency of the entire thing might depend on how steep the incline of the bottom of the pipe to the rain barrel is. Perhaps a siphon might come in handy ... ?

And the entire project shouldn't be too costly so you can always experiment and play around with the setup :smile:

What is the point of the check valve? You will need a water column inside the pipe which is as high as the water column in the barrel for water to flow through it. As you empty the barrel, the water surface in both will go down. You will never have a higher surface in the barrel than in the pipe (which is why you might want a check valve) unless you fill it using some other means - so unless you do that the valve is completely without function.

Orodruin said:
You will never have a higher surface in the barrel than in the pipe
I thought the OP was implying that rain barrel is on higher ground than where the start of the pipe is, no?

ProfuselyQuarky said:
I thought the OP was implying that rain barrel is on higher ground than where the start of the pipe is, no?
The rain barrel is indeed higher than the pipe

johnjackson112 said:
In that case, a check valve would serve a function.

... though I think that your first goal is to figure out how to push the water up the incline. Wouldn't a siphon work?

Likes 1oldman2
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Wouldn't a siphon work?
Your on the right track, only you need to maintain the siphon suction during low water in the barrel.

johnjackson112 said:
The rain barrel is higher than the top of the pipe where it meets the roof? Really?

johnjackson112 said:
... or if there is another way to like make water go up a pipe and into the rain barrel, thanks!
A pump, it could be low power solar wotsit powered pump if you have a lot of sun.

Likes 1oldman2
are you speaking of an inlet or outlet on the barrel ?

Russ is onto something. It sounds like the water source is on the roof and the barrel is on the ground. Just extend the pipe back up from the ground to where it dumps into the barrel. The static head coming down from the roof will push it up into the barrel.

Likes russ_watters
ProfuselyQuarky said:
In that case, a check valve would serve a function.
russ_watters said:
The rain barrel is higher than the top of the pipe where it meets the roof? Really?
What Russ said. If the barrel is higher than the top of the pipe you do not need a check valve, you need a pump.

The only reasonable interpretation of the OP is that the pipe outlet is lower than the top of the barrel.
Ketch22 said:
Russ is onto something. It sounds like the water source is on the roof and the barrel is on the ground. Just extend the pipe back up from the ground to where it dumps into the barrel. The static head coming down from the roof will push it up into the barrel.
This.

Likes russ_watters
Ketch22 said:
Right. The pipe would be full of water up to the level of the barrel top, but that's probably not a big deal.

russ_watters said:
Orodruin said:
What Russ said. If the barrel is higher than the top of the pipe you do not need a check valve, you need a pump.

The only reasonable interpretation of the OP is that the pipe outlet is lower than the top of the barrel.

This.
The barrel is higher than where the pipe ends, but not higher than where the pipe starts

johnjackson112 said:
The barrel is higher than where the pipe ends, but not higher than where the pipe starts
So just extend the pipe back up to the top of the barrel. The pipe will remain full of water and will need to be well sealed.

russ_watters said:
So just extend the pipe back up to the top of the barrel. The pipe will remain full of water and will need to be well sealed.
If I make the pipe go up how will the water go up?

johnjackson112 said:
If I make the pipe go up how will the water go up?
The water will fill up the pipe until it spills out whatever is the lowest opening...which will be into the rain barrel.

russ_watters said:
The water will fill up the pipe until it spills out whatever is the lowest opening...which will be into the rain barrel.
That may be true, but wouldn't that mean that not all the water will go into the barrel?

johnjackson112 said:
That may be true, but wouldn't that mean that not all the water will go into the barrel?
Yes, the pipe will hold a certain amount of water all the time. But rain barrels fill up surprisingly fast, so I doubt that will be a problem.

russ_watters said:
And be sure to use a fine screen at the top of the pipe to keep leaves and twigs out of the pipe (and keep the screen cleaned). Also, consider attind a cleanout vent (screw-on cap) at the bottom of the pipe where you are adding a U-joint to go back up to the top of the barrel. That will help you keep the pipe cleared out.

Can you UPLOAD a picture or two of your setup?

berkeman said:
Can you UPLOAD a picture or two of your setup?
Yeah, because rain barrels are kind of a normal thing and what is being described for us as the setup isn't. Usually, you cut the downspout and splice-in a diverter pipe...
[not my sketch]
dr16-diverter.jpg

Related to Can a Check Valve Solution Make Water Flow Up a Pipe into a Rain Barrel?

What is the concept behind making water flow up in a pipe?

The concept behind making water flow up in a pipe is using the principle of pressure and gravity. By creating a vacuum or low pressure at the top of the pipe, water is able to be pulled upwards against the force of gravity.

What is the most common method used to make water flow up in a pipe?

The most common method used to make water flow up in a pipe is by using a pump. The pump creates a pressure difference in the pipe, causing the water to move upwards.

Can water flow up in a pipe without the use of a pump?

Yes, water can flow up in a pipe without the use of a pump. This can be achieved by creating a vacuum or low pressure at the top of the pipe using techniques such as siphoning or using a pump at a lower elevation to push the water up.

What are the limitations of making water flow up in a pipe?

The limitations of making water flow up in a pipe include the maximum height that can be achieved, the capacity and power of the pump or vacuum source, and the potential for air bubbles or blockages in the pipe to disrupt the flow.

Can the direction of water flow in a pipe be changed from up to down?

Yes, the direction of water flow in a pipe can be changed from up to down by reversing the pressure or vacuum source. This will cause the water to flow in the opposite direction, back towards the lower elevation.