Can a Charged Particle's Circular Trajectory Be Proven with Newton's Second Law?

In summary, using Newton's Second Law and the magnetic force equation, it can be proven that a charged particle with a velocity vector in the i direction and a magnetic field in the -k direction must follow a circular trajectory. This can be understood by considering the direction of the electromagnetic force with respect to the particle's motion. There is also a more challenging problem involving an initial velocity at an arbitrary angle to the magnetic field, which results in a helical path for the charged particle.
SoberSteve2121
For a charged particle the Velocity Vector is in the i direction and the magnetic field is in the -k direction, prove using Newton's Second Law that the trajectory of this charged particle must be circular. (Hint F=q(V x B) this is the magnetic Force equation.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that this belongs to the homework help zone.

How hard is that? Think of the direction of the electromagnetic force with respect to the particle's motion.

kuenmao said:
I suspect that this belongs to the homework help zone.

How hard is that? Think of the direction of the electromagnetic force with respect to the particle's motion.

Don't tell him that there's an even more "difficult" problem where the charge particle has an initial velocity at an arbitrary angle to the magnetic field. I'm sure we can't solve it to get the helical path that the charge particle makes.

:)

Zz.

I'm not sure the OP will get the sarcasm in that second statement, so...

Related to Can a Charged Particle's Circular Trajectory Be Proven with Newton's Second Law?

What is a "Challenge Problem"?

A "Challenge Problem" is a problem that is difficult to solve and requires advanced critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It often involves multiple steps and may have more than one possible solution.

What makes a "Challenge Problem" difficult?

A "Challenge Problem" can be difficult for a variety of reasons, including its complexity, lack of clear instructions, and the need for advanced knowledge or skills in a specific subject area.

What are some strategies for solving a "Challenge Problem"?

Some strategies for solving a "Challenge Problem" include breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts, identifying any patterns or clues, and using trial and error to test different solutions.

Why are "Challenge Problems" important in science?

"Challenge Problems" are important in science because they help scientists develop critical thinking skills and solve complex problems that may have real-world applications. They also encourage creativity and innovation in the scientific process.

Are there any tips for approaching a "Challenge Problem"?

Yes, some tips for approaching a "Challenge Problem" include reading the problem carefully, identifying any given information and what is being asked, and trying different problem-solving strategies if one approach is not working.