Can a car engine dipstick be magnetized

• Thread starter sgvaibhav
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Engine
In summary, trying to magnetize a dipstick would not be easy and the effect you would get would be a small one. I think not big enough to lift something.If you have dropped something made from metal into an area into which you cannot get by hand, then you could try using a tool which has a magnet on a telescoping rod. Alternatively, you could attach a few magnets to the dipstick.
sgvaibhav
Hi,

Is it possible to permanently magnetize a car engine dipstick?
If yes, what would be the easiest way to get it magnetized, such that it will be able to lift an (rusted steel) object which is about 10 grams or lighter.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two ways , either you want the dipstick to attract the small metal pieces that sometimes get into the oil due to wear , although this is usually done by the oil filter , or you have dropped something into the lower part of the engine.
In the second case or all other cases that could be the case for you i would recommend getting a tool which is long and you can bend the stick and it has a pretty powerful neodymium magnet at it's end. it is designed for these cases when you drop something made from metal into an area into which you cannot get by hand.
i have used it several times , worked great.And they don't cost much.

Trying to magnetize a dipstick would not be that easy and the effect you would get would be a small one , I think not big enough to lift something.

Actually I had dropped some object inside my a/c vent / duct.

I carried out some dis-assembly to remove the grille, however I need something, which is very thin, and long, something like a dipstick to put inside the ducts, and to fish out the object using magnetic force.

Or what about attaching one or two neodymium magnets on each side of the dipstick, to use the dipstick as a fishing tool. Some tape can be applied to ensure that the magnet does not get lost in the ducts, and remains attached to the dipstick.

yes you could also do the way you described , but you have to make perfectly sure that the magnets are tied very strongly to the stick you will hold in your hand , otherwise you might end up with the magnets sticking to the metal plate of the oil reservoir and then the only way getting them out would be to dismantle the whole thing.
So what else can I say be careful.

sgvaibhav said:
I carried out some dis-assembly to remove the grille, however I need something, which is very thin, and long, something like a dipstick to put inside the ducts, and to fish out the object using magnetic force.

Any chain auto parts store will have a magnet on a telescoping rod for a few bucks.

Nugatory said:
Any chain auto parts store will have a magnet on a telescoping rod for a few bucks.

Sadly, I cannot find such a rod/stick over here in my country.

Just remembered, there are some hopes to find magnetic stick in ace hardware. Time to check it out there.

sgvaibhav said:
Sadly, I cannot find such a rod/stick over here in my country.

Just remembered, there are some hopes to find magnetic stick in ace hardware. Time to check it out there.

The Internet is a wonderful thing. It is a million times better than the Mail Order Catalogue of the past. Search Ebay?

Sound like you need something like this...
ULL14X.jpg

http://www.tooltopia.com/ullman-devices-14x.aspx?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=ULL14X&utm_campaign=googlebase_18u&gclid=CJy70NXDlLgCFcGe4Aodaz8ARQ

I'm a mechanic. I use this tool multiple times a day. It works great for retrieving nuts, bolts, etc. Not strong enough for anything heavier then a medium screwdriver. The shaft stays in whatever shape you bend it to. The magnet on the end is probably 7 or 8 mm in diameter.

yup this is an extremely good tool , once i dismantled an old carburetor from a good engine an some small screws fell into the intake manifold , this tool helped me alot.
The OP should really get his hands on one of these.

I built some self made creative tools, which i will try digging inside to fish objects.

Dont know how reliable they are or how good they will work...
If my own DIY tools don't work, then this magnetic flux tool looks like my next option.

Related to Can a car engine dipstick be magnetized

1. Can a car engine dipstick be magnetized?

Yes, a car engine dipstick can be magnetized. This is often done for convenience, as it allows the dipstick to easily attract and hold onto any metal debris or particles in the oil.

2. How is a car engine dipstick magnetized?

A car engine dipstick can be magnetized by rubbing a strong magnet along the length of the dipstick several times. This will cause the metal particles in the dipstick to align and create a magnetic field.

3. Will a magnetized dipstick affect the accuracy of the oil level reading?

No, a magnetized dipstick will not affect the accuracy of the oil level reading. The magnetization will not change the length of the dipstick, which is the measurement used to determine the oil level.

4. Can a dipstick be demagnetized?

Yes, a dipstick can be demagnetized by exposing it to high temperatures or by rubbing a demagnetizing tool along its length. However, it is not recommended to demagnetize a dipstick as it may lose its ability to attract and remove metal particles from the oil.

5. Are all car engine dipsticks magnetized?

No, not all car engine dipsticks are magnetized. Some dipsticks are made of non-magnetic materials such as plastic or aluminum. However, many modern cars come equipped with magnetized dipsticks for convenience and improved engine maintenance.