Can a Brita Filter or LifeStraw Make Pool Water Safe to Drink?

• I
  • Thread starter RICKYtan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the effectiveness of Brita and other water filters in making pool water drinkable. Activated carbon and resins are used in Brita filters to remove molecules and ions from tap water, making it safe to drink. However, it may not be able to remove all harmful organisms. Other filters, like the UV pen and Zerowater, are also mentioned as possible options for making pool water drinkable. It is also noted that swimming pools are typically treated with sodium hypochlorite for disinfection, which is also used in drinking water.
RICKYtan
Say can a brita filter, LifeStraw type of water filter make pool water drinkable?
What is the process that filters dirty water?
Side note, is it possible to drain a pool of enough of its chemicals make safe for sinking?

**Brita filters may be the weakest, probably just for sink water

Ever hear of hollow fiber membranes for filtering water?

Physics news on Phys.org
RICKYtan said:
Say can a brita filter, LifeStraw type of water filter make pool water drinkable?
What is the process that filters dirty water?
Side note, is it possible to drain a pool of enough of its chemicals make safe for sinking?

**Brita filters may be the weakest, probably just for sink water

Ever hear of hollow fiber membranes for filtering water?

Brita uses activated carbon and resins to remove some* (you'd need to quantify this to determine how much) molecules/elements/sediment from your tap water. You can find a high level description on their website. Activated carbon works by physical absorption, having a very large surface area due to small pores throughout. There's also some chemical reactions that take place. The resins work via ion exchange, replacing harmful ions with less harmful ones, and they also general have a large surface area. I don't really know that much about this stuff though.

Could you make pool water drinkable? It depends on how much stuff it removes per trip through the filter, but given enough cycles through it I would guess it would be safe to drink. Like Jedi's links say it won't kill organisms in the water that can make you sick. Get a UV pen if you're worried about organisms, I use one when I go out backpacking. Not only does it not alter the taste of glorious spring water, but it's small and compact. For sediments Brita is probably fine, for some chemicals I would also hazard to guess it's fine, and as a "first stage" filtration setup it would work well in my opioion.

Zerowater, another filter maker, says they can remove all dissolved solids with their filter design: https://www.zerowater.com/ I used it at one point and time to refill evaporated water from my salt water tank when my RO setup broke. Nothing died, so it probably works pretty well. I don't know if I trust their dissolved solids meter that comes with the system though.

Swimming pools are normally dosed with sodium hypochlorite to disinfect them. I think the same stuff is sometimes used to make drinking water.

Related to Can a Brita Filter or LifeStraw Make Pool Water Safe to Drink?

1. How is the strength of Brita Filters measured?

The strength of Brita Filters is measured by the amount of contaminants they can effectively remove from water. This is done through testing and evaluating the filter's ability to reduce impurities such as chlorine, lead, and other substances.

2. Are Brita Filters strong enough to remove all impurities from water?

No, Brita Filters are not designed to remove all impurities from water. They are most effective at reducing common contaminants found in tap water, but they may not remove all bacteria, viruses, and other harmful substances.

3. How long do Brita Filters last before needing to be replaced?

The lifespan of Brita Filters varies depending on the model and frequency of use. On average, they should be replaced every 40 gallons or approximately every two months to ensure optimal performance.

4. Can Brita Filters be used with hot water?

No, Brita Filters are not designed to filter hot water. The heat can damage the filter and reduce its effectiveness in removing impurities. It is recommended to only use cold or room temperature water with Brita Filters.

5. Are Brita Filters safe to use for people with allergies or sensitive skin?

Brita Filters are generally safe to use for people with allergies or sensitive skin. However, some individuals may experience irritation or allergic reactions to certain types of plastic used in the filter. It is best to consult with a doctor if you have any concerns.