Can a Bleed Line Improve Air Removal in Hydraulic Circuits?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a hydraulic system that was designed without proper knowledge, resulting in difficulties with removing air from the system. The question is raised about the possibility of adding a bleed line to aid in air removal. The response suggests that a system should have a designated place for air accumulation, and if there is none, then cycling the system can help remove the air. However, caution is advised as hydraulic oil can cause sudden movements in the system.
prickerbush
Hey all,

I never studied hydraulic circuits but I needed to design/make a hydraulic system for some research equipment. The system (in the attached schematic) has been hooked up and used for 6 months or so. However, I think we went the hard way on with getting the air out (we had no idea what we were doing.

Anyways, my question is can I put a bleed line on this system to help with getting the air out. Never mind if the symbols are drawn incorrectly as this is pretty much just a general schematic for what we have done. If it helps, the max pressure we will ever run in the system is about 2000 psi.

Thanks for the help!

-Marc

Attachments

• Hydraulic Circuit edit.jpg
    Hydraulic Circuit edit.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 558
Engineering news on Phys.org
A system should have a place where air naturally accumulates. If the cylinder is mounted vertically, that would be the place. Put the air bleed there. If in a simple system you have no such point, then don't worry about it. The air will wash back to tank and automatically purge itself from the system.

Last edited:
Great. Thank you. I will try what you said.

The only way I have ever had to bleed a hydraulic injection moulding machine circuit is by cycling it. Over a few hundred cycles it does makes its way out. They all have an open tank as in your diagram.

Take care though - hydraulic oil compresses the air until stiction is suddenly overcome and then the cylinders jump - too far sometimes! That much air is usually gone after a dozen cycles or so and it behaves better after that.

Related to Can a Bleed Line Improve Air Removal in Hydraulic Circuits?

1. What is a simple hydraulic circuit?

A simple hydraulic circuit is a system that uses fluid to transmit power. It typically consists of a pump, a reservoir, valves, and actuators. The pump creates pressure in the fluid, which then moves through the valves to the actuator, converting the pressure into mechanical energy.

2. How does a simple hydraulic circuit work?

A simple hydraulic circuit works by using the principle of Pascal's Law, which states that a change in pressure applied to an enclosed fluid will be transmitted equally to all parts of the fluid. The pump creates pressure in the fluid, which is then directed to the actuator through the valves. The actuator then uses the pressure to perform a mechanical task.

3. What are the advantages of using a simple hydraulic circuit?

One of the main advantages of a simple hydraulic circuit is its ability to generate a large amount of force using a relatively small amount of fluid. It is also a very efficient system, as there is minimal energy loss during transmission. Additionally, hydraulic systems can operate at high speeds and can be easily controlled and adjusted.

4. What are some common applications of simple hydraulic circuits?

Simple hydraulic circuits are commonly used in heavy machinery and equipment, such as construction equipment, cranes, and forklifts. They are also used in vehicles, such as cars and airplanes, for systems like brakes and steering. Hydraulic systems are also used in manufacturing processes, such as in presses and robots.

5. What are some potential issues with simple hydraulic circuits?

Some potential issues with simple hydraulic circuits include leaks in the system, which can result in a loss of pressure and therefore a loss of power. Contamination of the fluid can also cause problems, as it can clog or damage the valves and actuators. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the system can help prevent these issues.