Can a black hole slow down time and create a time difference between observers?

In summary: When you are near the black hole, your clock is running slower than mine. When you come back, your clock is still running slower, so you haven't "caught up" with my clock. In fact, since you've spent some time near the black hole, you've actually "lost" some time relative to me. This is due to the strong gravitational field of the black hole causing time to slow down.
IgorM101
I always wondered when they say as you approach a body having sufficiently high mass time slows down considerably
but is it possible that if I look at an object and that object were to move close to say a black hole as it nears the event horizon the speed of the escaping light should decrease and hence it should take longer for it to reach us and hence we would assume that time has slowed down whereas time is moving at the same velocity but we are receiving the images much later. So basically what I'm asking is that how can it be possible that a black hole (or any high mass) body having a massive gravitational effect can considerably slow down time.
In that case when the body emerges fromthe massed structure it should have caught up withthe present time shouldn't it?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) What you're describing, is only a constant shift of events in time. We need something that alters the time between the events.
2) Gravitational time dilation is not an experimentally found phenomenon that people built a theory for. It comes from theory(GR) and is then confirmed experimentally. So its meaningless to try to explain it differently from the beginning. Alternative theories, should be alternatives to the whole GR which after explaining gravity, should predict the same effects that GR does, including gravitational time dilation.

IgorM101 said:
how can it be possible that a black hole (or any high mass) body having a massive gravitational effect can considerably slow down time.

Here's a more precise way of stating how this works: suppose you and I start out in a space station far out in empty space, away from all massive bodies. I stay on the space station; you get in your rocket and fly down very close to the horizon of a black hole. You stay down there for a while, then fly back up to the space station and we compare our clocks. We will find that your clock shows far less elapsed time than mine does (how much less depends on how massive the black hole is and how close you get to its horizon).

Another scenario that illustrates gravitational time dilation is this: suppose I am on a space station, again far out in empty space, and you are in your rocket hovering very close to the horizon of a black hole. We exchange light signals, and each of us times how long it takes the light signals to make a round trip according to our clocks. We will observe the following:

(1) A given light signal takes much more time to make a round trip according to my clock than it does according to your clock (this is why we say your clock is "running slow" relative to mine).

(2) I observe your light signals to be redshifted.

(3) You observe my light signals to be blueshifted.

IgorM101 said:
when the body emerges fromthe massed structure it should have caught up with the present time shouldn't it?

No. See the first scenario above.

Related to Can a black hole slow down time and create a time difference between observers?

What is the relationship between gravity and time?

The relationship between gravity and time is explained by Einstein's theory of general relativity. According to this theory, gravity is the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects. This means that the more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational pull and the slower time passes around it.

How does gravity affect time?

Gravity affects time by causing it to pass at different rates in different locations. The closer an object is to a massive object, the stronger its gravitational pull and the slower time passes. This is known as gravitational time dilation.

Can gravity change the flow of time?

Yes, gravity can change the flow of time. As mentioned before, massive objects cause a curvature in space-time, which results in the slowing down of time. This is a significant effect that has been observed and tested numerous times, such as with satellites orbiting the Earth.

Does gravity affect all objects in the same way?

No, gravity affects different objects in different ways depending on their mass and proximity to other massive objects. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational pull and the slower time passes around it. Also, objects closer to a massive object will experience stronger gravitational effects than those further away.

Is there a limit to how much gravity can affect time?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, there is no limit to how much gravity can affect time. As long as there is a massive object, there will be a curvature in space-time and a corresponding slowing down of time. However, the effects become more significant as the mass and proximity of the objects increase.