Can a bicycle be tipped over by only applying rear brake?

In summary: Yes, but even when you neglect angular momentum of the wheels, it is theoretically possible to tip it over forward. Consider the torques around the center of mass of bike & rider.
mrkevelev
Let's say I'm riding a bike at constant speed. Also assume that the person riding is rigid, no moving of the persons body, constant center of gravity. Assuming that there is sufficient friction between the tires and road. If I apply the front brakes, I will likely tip over. If I apply the rear brakes, I will likely NOT tip over. If I only use the rear brakes, is it even possible to tip the bike over? What I think would happen is this:
I start decelerating. My center of gravity is above the pivot point on the front wheel, so I start to pitch forward. Because of the pitching moment, the friction of the rear tire on the road decreases. Since the grip has lessoned, the deceleration is less as well. Since the deceleration is less, there is nothing causing me to tip over. So I think there will be a constant balancing of forces, and therefore no tipping. I see this being the case even if the bike were quite taller, like you were riding on a tower (again, assuming no flexing). Is that the case? Not sure about skidding as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, this is a question of torques. It is impossible that if you are moving forwards with significant speed, if you apply the rear brake that you would tip.

Let's examine the situation when you apply the front break. You are a cyclist with constant velocity and your front wheel automatically becomes a pivot point. In order for you to tip it over, there needs to be significant torque counterclockwise relative to the pivot point in order for the bicycle to tip. This torque is generated by your entire bike's and body's constant velocity. Mostly your upper body since that torque is directly in the direction you need to make the bike tip.

If you make the back wheel as the pivot, there is absolutely no way for the bike to tip. You could try some stuff like you said. Try and lean forward, but then again that is not pivoting around the rear wheel, but the front. See the attached image.

mrkevelev said:
Is that the case?
Not too sure what you are saying here?

Attachments

• Drawing.jpeg
    Drawing.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 600
mrkevelev said:
I start decelerating. My center of gravity is above the pivot point on the front wheel, so I start to pitch forward. Because of the pitching moment, the friction of the rear tire on the road decreases. Since the grip has lessoned, the deceleration is less as well. Since the deceleration is less, there is nothing causing me to tip over. So I think there will be a constant balancing of forces, and therefore no tipping.

Your description is correct, and easily verified by some experiments. For grins and giggles and because this is a physics forum, you could make a free body diagram, then work on the equations that prove it.

mrkevelev said:
If I only use the rear brakes, is it even possible to tip the bike over?
Theoretically yes. The rear brake force disappears quickly, but it does apply some angular momentum to the bike. Whether that angular momentum is enough to tip the bike, depends on how high the center of mass is compared to its horizontal distance to the front axle.

A.T. said:
Theoretically yes. The rear brake force disappears quickly, but it does apply some angular momentum to the bike. Whether that angular momentum is enough to tip the bike, depends on how high the center of mass is compared to its horizontal distance to the front axle.
I think I understand what OP is saying. If the rear wheel is big enough and the center of mass is high enough, you could use the angular momentum to tip it over. I was only thinking in terms of linear momentum.

lekh2003 said:
I think I understand what OP is saying. If the rear wheel is big enough and the center of mass is high enough, you could use the angular momentum to tip it over. I was only thinking in terms of linear momentum.
Yes, but even when you neglect angular momentum of the wheels, it is theoretically possible to tip it over forward. Consider the torques around the center of mass of bike & rider.

The braking force applies an angular impulse to the bike & rider as a whole, which depends on the distance between center of mass and ground. After the back wheel lifts off, the frontal normal force transfers opposite angular momentum, which depends horizontal distance between center of mass and front wheel contact. You can theoretically adjust those two distances, such that the initial angular momentum is not completely canceled by the front wheel counter torque.

Last edited:
Likes lekh2003

Related to Can a bicycle be tipped over by only applying rear brake?

1. Can a bicycle be tipped over by only applying rear brake?

Yes, a bicycle can be tipped over by only applying the rear brake. This is because the majority of the braking power comes from the front wheel, so applying only the rear brake can cause the rear wheel to skid and the bike to tip forward.

2. Is it safe to only use the rear brake while riding a bicycle?

No, it is not safe to only use the rear brake while riding a bicycle. As mentioned before, the front wheel provides most of the braking power, so relying solely on the rear brake can cause the bike to become unstable and potentially lead to a crash.

3. How does applying only the rear brake affect the bike's handling?

Applying only the rear brake can cause the bike's handling to become unbalanced and potentially cause the bike to tip over. This is because the rear wheel will lock up and skid, while the front wheel is still rolling, causing the bike to become unstable.

4. Can a beginner rider safely use only the rear brake?

No, it is not recommended for a beginner rider to only use the rear brake. It is important for beginner riders to learn to use both brakes in a balanced and controlled manner to ensure safe and stable riding.

5. Are there any situations where using only the rear brake is appropriate?

There are certain situations where using only the rear brake may be appropriate, such as when riding on loose or slippery surfaces where using the front brake could cause the front wheel to lock up and lead to a crash. However, it is still important to use both brakes in a controlled manner to maintain stability.