Can a 2N by 2N matrix written in terms of N by N matrices?

In summary, the person is looking for a hard mathematical proof or a numerical method to prove that the set of matrices consisting of a 2x2 identity matrix and the Pauli matrices is a basis for Hermitian 2x2 matrices. They also mention that this result can be extended to 2Nx2N matrices by writing the matrix in block form and choosing appropriate matrices.
sokrates
I posted this question over at the QM page,

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=714076

but I realized I am really looking for a

hard Mathematical proof ...

A description of a numerical way of proving this would also be very helpful for me.

or a reference covering the subject.

Many thanks in advance,

Physics news on Phys.org
As a warmup, would you know how to prove that ##\{ I_{2}, \sigma_i\}## is a basis for Hermitian ##2\times 2## matrices? The result for ##2N\times 2N## will follow by writing the matrix in block form and using the basis as explained by wle in that thread.

Yes - I can do the 2x2 proof I guess.

Because any 2x2 Hermitian matrix can be written as:

[tex]
H=\begin{bmatrix}
a & c -i \ d \\
c + i \ d & b
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

where a,b,c,d are all real numbers.

Then H can be uniquely defined in terms of Pauli matrices:
[tex]
\frac{1}{2}\left[ (a+b) \ I_{2\times 2} + (a-b) \ \sigma_z + 2 \ c \ \sigma_x + 2 \ d \ \sigma_y\right]
[/tex]

But how to extend this to 2N by 2N ?

Yes, I got it ...

Just write it out explicitly and choose A,B,C,D accordingly to get the random 2N by 2N matrix.

Many thanks for directing me to that.

I can provide a response to this question. It is possible to write a 2N by 2N matrix in terms of N by N matrices. This can be proven mathematically by using the Kronecker product, which is a way of constructing a larger matrix from smaller matrices. The Kronecker product allows us to write a 2N by 2N matrix as a block matrix, with each block being an N by N matrix.

To understand this concept, let's start with two N by N matrices, A and B. The Kronecker product of A and B is denoted as A⊗B and is defined as follows:

A⊗B = [a11B a12B ... a1NB
a21B a22B ... a2NB
... ... ...
aN1B aN2B ... aNNB]

In other words, the Kronecker product of A and B is a block matrix where each block is a scalar multiple of B, with the scalar being the corresponding element of A. This can be extended to larger matrices, such as a 2N by 2N matrix.

To write a 2N by 2N matrix in terms of N by N matrices, we can use the following formula:

M = A⊗I + I⊗B

where M is the 2N by 2N matrix, I is the N by N identity matrix, and A and B are N by N matrices. This can also be extended to more than two matrices, such as:

M = A⊗I⊗C + I⊗B⊗D

where M is a 2N by 2N by 2N by 2N matrix, I is the N by N identity matrix, and A, B, C, and D are N by N matrices.

In terms of a numerical proof, we can use MATLAB or any other programming language to construct a 2N by 2N matrix using the Kronecker product. This would involve creating the smaller N by N matrices, performing the Kronecker product, and then arranging the resulting blocks into a larger matrix.

For further reading on the Kronecker product and its applications in matrix algebra, you can refer to the following resources:

1. "Matrix Computations" by Gene H. Golub

Related to Can a 2N by 2N matrix written in terms of N by N matrices?

1. What is a 2N by 2N matrix?

A 2N by 2N matrix is a square matrix with dimensions of 2N rows and 2N columns. This means that it has the same number of rows and columns, and each row and column contains 2N elements.

2. What does it mean to write a matrix in terms of N by N matrices?

Writing a 2N by 2N matrix in terms of N by N matrices means breaking down the larger matrix into smaller sub-matrices with dimensions of N by N. This can be done by dividing the original matrix into 2N/N = 2 smaller matrices, each with dimensions of N by N.

3. Why would someone want to write a matrix in terms of N by N matrices?

There are several reasons why someone may want to write a matrix in terms of N by N matrices. It can make the matrix easier to manipulate and perform calculations on, it can reveal certain patterns or structures within the matrix, and it can also make the matrix more compact and easier to understand.

4. Is it always possible to write a 2N by 2N matrix in terms of N by N matrices?

No, it is not always possible to write a 2N by 2N matrix in terms of N by N matrices. This is because the original matrix must have a number of rows and columns that are divisible by N in order for it to be broken down into smaller sub-matrices with dimensions of N by N.

5. How can the elements of a 2N by 2N matrix be rearranged into N by N matrices?

To rearrange the elements of a 2N by 2N matrix into N by N matrices, we can use a process called matrix partitioning. This involves dividing the original matrix into smaller sub-matrices with dimensions of N by N and rearranging the elements accordingly. The specific method for partitioning the matrix may vary depending on the desired outcome.