Can a 2-Stage Reciprocating Compressor Handle Lower Suction Pressure?

• Thread starter christwllms
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compressor
In summary, the conversation is discussing a 2 stage reciprocating compressor that is currently set at a suction pressure of 120 psi and discharging at 1160 psi. The speaker has gas going in at intermediate pressure of 400 psi and is compressing about 15 mmscfd. They have two questions: 1) Will the compressor handle it if the 400 psi gas is put into the low pressure stage (120 psi)? 2) Will the flow rate for the compressor remain the same? The conversation then goes on to clarify where the 400 psi gas is being introduced and the potential for adjusting the suction pressure on the first stage. The expert summarizer notes that for a reciprocating machine, the flow
christwllms
I have a 2 stage reciprocating compressor that is set at a suction pressure of 120 psi and discharging at the second stage of 1160 psi. currently I have gas going in at intermediate pressure at 400 psi compressing about 15 mmscfd. My questions are this:

1. Will the compressor handle it if I take that 400 psi gas and put it into the low pressure stage (120 psi)?

2. Will the flow rate for the compressor remain the same?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you clarify where you're introducing the 400 psi? Is it presently bypassing the 1'st stage and going into the second stage? Or are you putting it into the first stage?

For a recip machine, the flow rate will increase as inlet pressure increases assuming the machine can handle the pressure, which generally isn't a good assumption. Flow for a recip is just density times displacement.

Currently the 400 psi is is bypassing the 1st stage and going into the 2nd stage. I'm looking at taking the 400 psi off of the 2nd stage and put it into the 1st stage. Do you have to adjust the suction pressure on the the 1st stage or will the suction pressure raise due to the increased inlet pressure or do nothing at all.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to do. You have 400 psi (air? what's the gas?) going into the second stage right now but what's going in the first stage? Do you have 120 psi gas going into that? Then all of the gas is going through the 2'nd stage and out at 1160?

Sounds like you want to introduce 400 psi into the first stage, but that would have to be let down through a regulator or something so you don't get 400 psi at the inlet of the first stage... unless the machine is made to handle it which isn't clear.

I cannot give specific advice on your specific compressor without more information. However, here are some general principles that may help you answer your questions:

1. A reciprocating compressor is designed to handle a certain range of suction and discharge pressures. The manufacturer should have provided specifications for the compressor, including its maximum suction and discharge pressures. It is important to ensure that the gas being compressed falls within these specifications to avoid damaging the compressor.

2. The flow rate of a compressor is affected by many factors, including the suction and discharge pressures, the type of gas being compressed, and the compressor's design and specifications. Changing the suction pressure may affect the flow rate, but it is difficult to say for sure without more information. It is best to consult the manufacturer or a compressor expert for a more accurate answer.

In summary, it is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications and guidelines when operating a reciprocating compressor. Any changes to the operating conditions, such as changing the suction pressure, should be carefully considered and may require adjustments to ensure the compressor can handle the new conditions effectively.

Related to Can a 2-Stage Reciprocating Compressor Handle Lower Suction Pressure?

1. What is a reciprocating compressor?

A reciprocating compressor is a type of positive displacement compressor that uses a piston or plunger to compress gas or air. It works by drawing in gas through an intake valve, then compressing it with a piston and discharging it through a discharge valve.

2. What are the main components of a reciprocating compressor?

The main components of a reciprocating compressor include a cylinder, piston, valves, crankshaft, and connecting rod. The cylinder is where the gas is compressed, the piston moves up and down inside the cylinder, and the valves control the flow of gas. The crankshaft and connecting rod work together to convert the rotary motion of the motor into the reciprocating motion of the piston.

3. How does a reciprocating compressor differ from a rotary compressor?

A reciprocating compressor uses a piston and cylinder to compress gas, while a rotary compressor uses a rotating impeller or screw to create compression. Reciprocating compressors are better suited for high pressure and low volume applications, while rotary compressors are better for low pressure and high volume applications.

4. What are some common uses for reciprocating compressors?

Reciprocating compressors are commonly used in industrial applications such as refrigeration, air conditioning, and natural gas processing. They are also used in automotive engines, gas turbines, and oil refineries.

5. How do I maintain a reciprocating compressor?

Regular maintenance is important for ensuring the efficient and safe operation of a reciprocating compressor. This includes changing the oil and filters, inspecting and replacing worn parts, and checking for leaks. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and to keep the compressor clean and free of debris.