Can 10^n + 1 Be Expressed as a*a*c?

In summary, the conversation was about proving that 10^n + 1 cannot be expressed in the form a*a*c, where n,a,c are positive integers. The attempt at a solution involved considering the remainder of 10^n + 1 when divided by 3, which led to the conclusion that a*a = 3z + 1 and c = 3v + 2 for some positive integers z and v. The conversation also touched on the problem of finding a number whose repeat is a perfect square and the attempt at a solution for this problem involved investigating the prime factors of 10^n + 1, ultimately concluding that no such number exists.
Pythagorean12

Homework Statement

Prove that 10^n + 1 cannot be expressed in the form a*a*c, where n,a,c are positive integers.

Homework Equations

By considering the reminder of 10^n + 1 when it is devided by 3, I arrived at the conclusion that:

a*a = 3z +1;
c = 3v + 2

for some positive integers z,v.

Here I am stuck, I have no idea how to proceed

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Pythagorean12 said:
By considering the reminder of 10^n + 1 when it is devided by 3, I arrived at the conclusion that:
a*a = 3z +1;
c = 3v + 2
for some positive integers z,v.
How did you arrive at this conclusion? You don't show what you got when you divided 10n + 1 by 3.

Let's consider 3 possible cases:

1) a = 3k. This case is impossible, since from equality 10^n + 1 = a*a*c we notice that the remainder, when LHS is divided by 3, is always 2, and the remainder, when RHS is divided by 3, is 0;

2) a = 3k + 1. Then a*a = 9k*k + 6k + 1 - the remainder, when a is divided by 3, is 1

3) a = 3k + 2. Then a*a = 9k*k + 12k + 4 - the remainder, when a is divided by 3, is 1

Hence, a*a can be expressed as a*a = 3z + 1

Now let's consider 3 possible cases for c:

1) c = 3k - this case is impossible due to the same reason explained in case a = 3k.

2) c= 3k + 1. Then:

a*a*c = (3z + 1)(3k + 1) = 9kz + 3z + 3k + 1. Dividing this by 3 gives remainder 1, while dividing 10^n + 1 by 3 gives remainder 2

3) c= 3k + 2. Then:

a*a*c = (3z + 1)(3k + 2)= 9kz + 6z + 3k + 2. Dividing this by 3 gives remainder 2, and dividing 10^n + 1 by 3 gives remainder 2.

Hence, c= 3k + 2.

(The real problem I want to solve is formulated like that:

The repeat of a natural number is obtained by writing it twice in a row (for example, the repeat of 356 is 356356). Is there any number whose repeat is a perfecr square.

Let's denote the n-digit number by b. Then we have:

b*10^n + b = c*c;
b(10^n + 1)= c*c

I have made a little investigation for 10^n + 1:

n
1 10^n + 1=11 - prime number
2 10^n + 1=101 - prime number
3 10^n + 1=1001=7*11*13
4 10^n + 1=10001=73*137
5 10^n + 1=100001=11*9091
6 10^n + 1=1000001=101*9901
7 10^n + 1=10000001=11*909091
8 10^n + 1=100000001=17*5882353
9 10^n + 1=1000000001= 7*11*13*19*52579

Form this, we notice that each prime factor of 10^n + 1 occurs only once. Hence, I have come to the sketch of the proof that no such number whose repeat is a perfecr square exists:

1)10^n + 1 is a prime number.
Then it must be a= e*e(10^n + 1) -> a is a n+1 digit number -> contradiction

2) 10^n + 1 is not a prime number

Each prime factor of 10^n + 1 occur only once (as "deduced form examples above")
I try to prove last statement by contradiction. Let's assume that 10^n + 1 = a*a*c (a*a means that some prime factors occur more that once). The work for this part was described above.

Hence, if this last unproven statement is true, then a = e*e(10^n + 1) -> a is a n+1 digit number -> contradiction.

)

While this may be an old thread I stumbled across and felt I should add some input.

This statement cannot be proven as it is currently written.

Ex. Assign c the value 10^n + 1. Divide LHS by c. This implies that a^2 = 1 which implies a = 1. Therefore for all n 10^n + 1 can be written as a*a*c.

If it was meant that a and c must be strictly less than 10^n + 1 then the statement can be much more easily proven then the route you were taking.

Start by dividing LHS by c. Then it must be that ( 10^n + 1 ) / c is a perfect square since a is a positive integer. This implies that [tex]\sqrt{ 10^n / c + 1 / c }[/tex] is also an integer. All that's left for you to do is show that for every c < 10^n + 1 , that [tex]\sqrt{ 10^n / c + 1 / c }[/tex] is never an integer value.

Hint: it would suffice to prove that the expression inside the brackets is itself never an integer value for all allowed values of c.

Related to Can 10^n + 1 Be Expressed as a*a*c?

What is pure mathematics?

Pure mathematics is the study of mathematical concepts and structures for their own sake, rather than for practical applications.

What are the branches of pure mathematics?

The main branches of pure mathematics include algebra, analysis, geometry, topology, number theory, and logic.

How is pure mathematics different from applied mathematics?

Pure mathematics focuses on abstract concepts and theories, while applied mathematics applies these concepts to real-world problems and situations.

What are some common techniques used in solving pure mathematics problems?

Some common techniques used in solving pure mathematics problems include logic, induction, proof by contradiction, and mathematical induction.

Why is pure mathematics important?

Pure mathematics is important because it forms the foundation for many other fields of study, including physics, computer science, and engineering. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.