Calibrated Pressure gage (Digital)

In summary, a pressure gauge needs to be calibrated to maintain accuracy, but it can be expensive and time-consuming. It depends on the application and the needs of the user.
Kaly
Hello,
Can someone tell me what is NIST calibration ?
I inquired about a digital pressure gage, the supplier says it is calibrated to catalogue pages but not NIST calibrated. NIST calibration will need longer ETA and higher cost. I am not sure if I really need that since my application doesn't need huge precision. + or _ .5 psi tolerance is fine..

Engineering news on Phys.org
NIST Calibration is typically only required if you are an ISO 9001 Certified manufacturer. It depends on your usage if you need the NIST Calibration or not, but I would guess that if you are uncertain what the NIST is, you most likely do not need it.

Calibration for instrumentation is done to ensure the accuracy of a measurement, and is independent of the gauge's precision (see disambiguation: accuracy vs precision). The National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST) is a measurement standards laboratory which helps develop and maintain fundamental measurement standards; calibration of instrumentation for many industries depend on standards maintained by this government organization.

Traceability example: Thermometers and NIST Traceable Calibration
SureControls.com said:
With NIST traceable calibration, any measurements taken with a certified thermometer will have:
  1. An unbroken chain of measurements that leads back to NIST maintained standards.
  2. Known and documented uncertainties for each step in the chain.
  3. A quality assurance system in place to maintain that measurement uncertainty.

In the case of a pressure gauge, requirements for accuracy and consequences of an incorrect measurement will help you decide if you need a traceable calibration. Some points to keep in mind:
  • How important is it to get an accurate measurement? Is the application safety or process-critical? Are you measuring the pressure of a system which might be damaged by an incorrect pressure?
  • Are there local regulations in place for your application which require traceable calibration of measurement equipment?
  • What are the consequences of an incorrect measurement?
It might be you don't need traceable calibration, but keep these things in mind before totally disregarding it. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
Likes Dan8420
Thank you, that was helpful

Related to Calibrated Pressure gage (Digital)

What is a Calibrated Pressure gage (Digital)?

A calibrated pressure gage is a type of pressure measuring instrument that uses digital technology to accurately measure and display pressure readings. It is commonly used in scientific and industrial settings to monitor and control pressure levels.

How does a Calibrated Pressure gage (Digital) work?

A calibrated pressure gage works by converting the physical force of pressure into an electrical signal, which is then translated into a digital display. This process allows for precise and accurate pressure measurements.

Why is calibration important for a Calibrated Pressure gage (Digital)?

Calibration is important for a calibrated pressure gage because it ensures that the instrument is accurately measuring pressure and displaying correct readings. Over time, factors such as wear and tear or environmental conditions can affect the accuracy of the gage, making regular calibration necessary.

How often should a Calibrated Pressure gage (Digital) be calibrated?

The frequency of calibration for a calibrated pressure gage depends on the specific instrument and its intended use. In general, it is recommended to calibrate the gage at least once a year or whenever there is a significant change in its environment or usage.

Can a Calibrated Pressure gage (Digital) be recalibrated?

Yes, a calibrated pressure gage can be recalibrated. If the gage is found to be inaccurate during calibration, adjustments can be made to correct it. However, if the gage is found to be faulty or damaged, it may need to be replaced.