Calibi-yau manifolds affecting the size of strings

In summary, Calabi-Yau manifolds are a type of mathematical space proposed as a solution to the problem of extra dimensions in string theory. They allow for compactification of extra dimensions, affect the size and behavior of strings, play a role in supersymmetry, and have been supported by indirect observations and calculations in string theory.
dhillonv10
Hi all,

I am rather new here but I think I am posting in the right place, if not my apologies :) Alright so I've been working on calibi-yau manifolds for some time now and string theory (let's take a generic approach here and not worry about which version) states that the shape of the manifold precisely determines how the string will vibrate, so from following that, can I conclude that they also determine the size of the strings? It sounds logical to me, but does that make any sense? As a further extension of this, is it possible to change the size of the string by affecting the manifold itself? Has any work (research) been done regarding this? Generally we don't find the exact answer but someone variation thereof or sometimes the mechanism to solve one problem leads to solving another, I would very much appreciate if someone can offer me some guidance on this and possible links to papers. Thanks.

I do realize that the size is determine by coupling constants but to change the size, would I have to focus on the manifold itself or the constants?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question and for sharing your research interests with us. I am also a scientist and have some understanding of string theory and calabi-yau manifolds. To answer your question, yes, the shape of the manifold does play a crucial role in determining the size of the strings. In string theory, the strings are considered to be one-dimensional objects and their size is determined by the shape of the extra dimensions in which they vibrate. This is known as the compactification of the extra dimensions.

To change the size of the string, you would need to focus on the manifold itself. By altering the shape of the manifold, you can change the size of the extra dimensions and therefore affect the size of the string. However, it is not a straightforward process and requires a deep understanding of the mathematics of calabi-yau manifolds and string theory.

There has been some research done on this topic, specifically in the context of mirror symmetry. Mirror symmetry is a mathematical duality between two different calabi-yau manifolds, where the size of the extra dimensions can be changed while maintaining the same physics. This suggests that the size of the string can be altered by changing the shape of the manifold.

I would recommend looking into research papers on mirror symmetry and the work of physicists such as Brian Greene and Edward Witten. They have made significant contributions to understanding the relationship between calabi-yau manifolds and string theory.

I hope this helps guide your research and provides some insight into your question. Best of luck in your studies!

Related to Calibi-yau manifolds affecting the size of strings

1. What are Calabi-Yau manifolds and how do they affect the size of strings?

Calabi-Yau manifolds are a type of mathematical space that have been proposed as a possible solution to the problem of extra dimensions in string theory. In string theory, it is believed that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are tiny one-dimensional strings. These strings vibrate in different ways, giving rise to the different particles and forces we observe. Calabi-Yau manifolds have a special geometric structure that allows for compactification of extra dimensions, which in turn affects the size and behavior of the strings.

2. How do Calabi-Yau manifolds relate to string theory?

Calabi-Yau manifolds were originally studied in mathematics, but they gained significance in the field of string theory when physicists realized that they could provide a solution to the problem of extra dimensions. In string theory, it is proposed that the universe has more than the three dimensions we observe, but these extra dimensions are "curled up" in Calabi-Yau manifolds, making them imperceptible to us at our scale.

3. Can Calabi-Yau manifolds affect the size of strings?

Yes, Calabi-Yau manifolds can affect the size of strings in several ways. First, as mentioned before, they allow for compactification of extra dimensions, which can influence the size and behavior of strings. Additionally, the shape and size of the Calabi-Yau manifold can also affect the interactions between strings, which in turn affects their size and behavior.

4. Are there any other ways Calabi-Yau manifolds can affect string theory?

Yes, Calabi-Yau manifolds also play a role in supersymmetry, which is a key concept in string theory. Supersymmetry posits that for every known particle, there is a corresponding "superpartner" particle with different spin. The shape of the Calabi-Yau manifold can affect the properties of these superpartner particles, leading to potential implications for the validity of supersymmetry in string theory.

5. Are there any current experiments or observations that support the use of Calabi-Yau manifolds in string theory?

There have not been any direct experimental or observational evidence for Calabi-Yau manifolds in string theory. However, there have been indirect observations and calculations that support their use. For example, the number of extra dimensions predicted by string theory and the shapes of Calabi-Yau manifolds have been found to match the number and shapes of dimensions needed to explain certain observed phenomena, such as the hierarchy problem in particle physics.