Is it possible to increase the speed of light? (transmissions)

In summary, a person is working on a script for a screen about a man who is believed to be in space but is actually isolated on Earth. The plan is to make the audience believe that the man is in space by having him be 2.7 billion miles away from Earth, which would result in a 4.25 hour transmission delay. However, there is concern about the feasibility of this in the film medium and the possibility of having a shorter transmission time. Suggestions are made to have the man in orbit around Mars or at a Lagrange point, or to use a tachyonic transmission system. There is also discussion about the varying light lag between Earth and Mars and the potential for radio silence if the man is orbiting
sabbry
I'm new here, and I am working on a script for the screen. What I have now is a man who the audience believes to be in space, but he is really isolated on earth. Now anyway, suppose an infant was put to sleep for 20 years, thus alienating dependence on parents or other role models.

The point is to make the audience think the guy is in space, so after twenty years the guy would be 2.7 billion miles from earth, and as a result it would take 4.25 hours for a transmission to be received.

Now anyone can see that this would present a problem in the film medium. Is it possible to have a short transmission time?

Science news on Phys.org
It is a work of fiction, right? You seen any Star Trek?

Well yes it is fiction, but its not a space story. What the story is about is experimenting on a human in preperation for a 'global mind control system.' I figured that the initial tests would be on an isolated human who thinks he is in space.

Originally posted by sabbry

The point is to make the audience think the guy is in space, so after twenty years the guy would be 2.7 billion miles from earth, and as a result it would take 4.25 hours for a transmission to be received.

why can t he just be in space a few light seconds away? in orbit behind Mars or something? it ll be plenty isolated, and its only a few light seconds away

Originally posted by lethe
why can t he just be in space a few light seconds away? in orbit behind Mars or something? it ll be plenty isolated, and its only a few light seconds away

I thought it took about 8 minutes for light to reach Mars from Earth, in the same fact that it takes about 8 minutes for light from the sun to reach the Earth.

You make an interesting point, so no matter what his point in orbit it would take 8 minutes to receive a signal?

Originally posted by neutroncount
I thought it took about 8 minutes for light to reach Mars from Earth, in the same fact that it takes about 8 minutes for light from the sun to reach the Earth.

The light lag between Earth and Mars varies between 3 min and 22 min. The minimum when opposition occurs in late Aug., and the Maxumum when conjuntion occurs in late Aug.

It only hits these extremes about every 15 years, the average variation over the synodic period of Mars is a bit less.

Well, for the sake of accuracy I need to know how long it would take to receive a transmission from Earth.

You make an interesting point, so no matter what his point in orbit it would take 8 minutes to receive a signal?

No, it depends on how far away he is and the type of orbit. Is there any particuliar reason that he has to be such a great distance away? Would being in the same orbit as the moon work? In that case, you would only be looking at a little over a second in signal delay.

Now anyone can see that this would present a problem in the film medium. Is it possible to have a short transmission time?

(Do we, or PF, get film credit for this?)

You can, as it is fiction, tell the person, who is supposed to be "way out there", that you have perfected a "tachyonic transmission system" of communications, therefore you could easily play with the rates/times of information transference/transmission.

As tachyions travel faster then light (considered to be backwards in time) they can arrive there in a very nice, timely, timeframe.

Does that help?

I think the moon's orbit could work actually.

I think the moon's orbit could work actually.

In that case, just have him supposedly placed at one of the Lagrange points, either 60 degrees ahead of or behind the Moon in its orbit. These points are gravitationally stable and anything placed there tends to stay there.

Originally posted by Janus
The light lag between Earth and Mars varies between 3 min and 22 min. The minimum when opposition occurs in late Aug., and the Maxumum when conjuntion occurs in late Aug.

It only hits these extremes about every 15 years, the average variation over the synodic period of Mars is a bit less.

Janus,
Reread this post, I think you may have a typo? There is a LOT happening in late Aug!

why don't you have him orbit at a point over the dark side of the moon, the dark side of the moon is almost completely undetectable from Earth you would probably have to set up another communications relay around the dark side of the moon so that transmission could occur. The problem with putting something orbiting Mars is, I would assume, that every so often, the planets would get in the way of transmission, and you would have radio silence, just like Apollo 13 did when it swung around the moon.

Originally posted by Integral
Janus,
Reread this post, I think you may have a typo? There is a LOT happening in late Aug!

Late Aug is is when the Earth's orbit aligns with Mars' perihelion. So when Mars is at perihelion then, we have a close oppostion, and Mars and Earth are at their closest.

Conversely, Mars and Earth are at their greatest separation when Mars is at Aphelion when Earth and Mar's are 180° apart in their orbits( in conjuntion). Mars aphelion is 180° from its perihelion, and Earth must be 180° from Mars at conjunction. This brings us right back to late Aug for maximum separation.

you mean that it is next late august that they are at their farthest point across correct? because they can't be the closest and the farthest from each other in 2 weeks, without taking the time to calculate it, i doubt a planet even moves about 10 light minutes in 2 weeks.

Originally posted by Lyuokdea
you mean that it is next late august that they are at their farthest point across correct? because they can't be the closest and the farthest from each other in 2 weeks, without taking the time to calculate it, i doubt a planet even moves about 10 light minutes in 2 weeks.

No, It would be several years later, not the next Aug.

Originally posted by Janus
Late Aug is is when the Earth's orbit aligns with Mars' perihelion. So when Mars is at perihelion then, we have a close oppostion, and Mars and Earth are at their closest.

Conversely, Mars and Earth are at their greatest separation when Mars is at Aphelion when Earth and Mar's are 180° apart in their orbits( in conjuntion). Mars aphelion is 180° from its perihelion, and Earth must be 180° from Mars at conjunction. This brings us right back to late Aug for maximum separation.

I am sorry Janus, I must be pretty dense. Do we need to specify the year with this? How else can Mars be both closest and furthest in the same week?

Edit:
Opps I missed the previous post. My question has already been answered.

Now for a on topic post.

I am not sure what your problem is, you need a long delay in communications. That is EASY to do. If you had your fellow in space and were trying to trick him into thinking he were on Earth and needed to reduce the communications time, that would be hard.

I do not see why writting in a communications delay would be hard, make it as long, or as short, as you want and write it into the story.

I had originally thought of the story set in space, a man destined to live his life inside a cold and lonely ship, for the sake of observation. As you can see there is a magic hole in that logic. Why would they spend billions upon billions to fund this project in space, when they could just make the subject think he was in space for a fraction of the cost?

well it would be pretty easy to make a man think he is in space, you just need to have the time vary as the orbits very, and also have the transmission block out from time to time, with visuals in the pod the man is into go along with it. The transmission block could easily be simulated by cutting the connection back at the headquarters. There is computers that simulate the delay that you are talking about NASA uses them to show how to work with robots on Mars and the Moon if I remember correctly. You might want to read up on those.

1. Can the speed of light be increased?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence or theory that suggests the speed of light can be increased. The speed of light, also known as the speed of electromagnetic radiation, is considered to be a fundamental constant of the universe and is believed to be the maximum speed at which all matter and information can travel.

2. Is there any ongoing research to increase the speed of light?

While there have been various experiments and studies to try and increase the speed of light, none have been successful. Scientists continue to study the properties of light and its interactions with matter, but at this time there is no known way to increase its speed.

3. Can technology be developed to increase the speed of light?

It is highly unlikely that technology will ever be able to increase the speed of light. As mentioned before, the speed of light is believed to be a fundamental constant and is integral to our understanding of the laws of physics. Therefore, it is not possible for technology to alter this fundamental property of the universe.

4. What would happen if we could increase the speed of light?

If by some means we were able to increase the speed of light, it would have significant consequences for our understanding of the universe. The laws of physics, as we know them, would have to be rewritten and many fundamental principles would have to be reevaluated. It is difficult to predict exactly what would happen, but it would certainly revolutionize our understanding of the universe.

5. Is it possible to travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is not possible for any object to travel faster than the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and would require an infinite amount of energy to continue accelerating. Therefore, it is currently believed to be impossible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light.