Calculus Problem (involving tangent line)

In summary: I needed it.In summary, the problem asks for an equation of the tangent line to the graph of F at the point (1,0). The problem suggests finding the derivative of y at this point and then solving for y.
Cod
Here is exactly how the problem reads:

53. Find an equation of the tangent line to the graph of F at the indicated point.

y = x^4 - 3x^2 + 2 (1,0)

I'll be honest. I do not understand how to do these type problems. I've been reading this section of the book over and over to no avail. For some reason, I still cannot grasp how to do this sort of problem. So I'm posting this question here hoping that someone can ignite a lightbulb in my head so I can figure this kind of problem out.

Any help on getting started is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
For these problems, I suggest that you first find the value of the derivative at the indicated point. This is the slope of the tangent line at this point. Since you know that the indicated point is a point on this line, you can write (y-y1) = m(x-x1), where (x1,y1) is the ordered pair given as the indicated point and m is the slope of the tangent line at that point. If you wish, you can solve that equation for y to get it into the standard y = mx + b form. If you need any more help, please show what you're trying on this problem and we'll try to pick it apart some more.

What, precisely, is it that you don't understand?

Do you have trouble finding the derivative?

Do you know the fundamental definition of derivative: that the derivative of a function at a given value of x is the slope of the tangent line?

Do you know how to find the equation of a line given the slope and one point it passes through?

In this case you are given that y = x4 - 3x2 + 2. You surely should know the "power rule": the derivative of xn is nxn-1 so that the derivative of x4 is 4 x3 and the derivative of x2 is 2x1= 2x. You can find the derivative of 2 either by writing it as "2x0" and using that formula: the derivative is 2(0)x-1= 0 or, more simply, by recalling that the graph of y= 2 is a horizontal straight line and so has slope 0.
Now put them together: the derivative of y is 4x3- 3(2x)= 4x3- 6x. In particular, when x= 1 the derivative is
4(1)3- 6(1)= 4- 6= -2. The tangent line passes through (1,0) and has slope -2.

Any (non-vertical) straight line can be written in the form y= mx+ b where m is the slope. The line you are looking for can be written in the form y= -2x+ b. You know that when x= 1, y= 0 (it passes through (0,1)) so 0= -2(1)+ b. Okay, what is b? What is the equation of the tangent line?

I got it figured out late last night. In fact, as I was turning out the lights to go to bed, it hit me. So I was up another 5 minutes doing the problem, which is correct.

Thanks for the advice/help y'all.

Related to Calculus Problem (involving tangent line)

1. What is a tangent line in calculus?

A tangent line is a straight line that touches a curve at only one point, and has the same slope as the curve at that point.

2. How do you find the equation of a tangent line?

To find the equation of a tangent line, you need to find the slope of the curve at the point of tangency. This can be done by taking the derivative of the function at that point. Then, using the point-slope formula, you can plug in the coordinates of the point of tangency and the slope to find the equation of the tangent line.

3. What is the importance of tangent lines in calculus?

Tangent lines are important in calculus because they help us understand the behavior of a curve at a specific point. They also allow us to approximate the curve at that point, which can be useful in applications such as optimization problems.

4. How does the slope of a tangent line relate to the derivative?

The slope of a tangent line is equal to the value of the derivative at the point of tangency. This means that the derivative gives us the rate of change of the curve at that specific point.

5. Can a curve have more than one tangent line at a given point?

No, a curve can have only one tangent line at a given point. This is because the tangent line represents the instantaneous rate of change at that point, and a curve cannot change in two different directions at the same time.