Calculus III is SO MUCH EASIER than Calculus II

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty level of different calculus courses. The speaker mentions that Calculus III is much easier than Calculus II, and asks about the difficulty of Calculus IV. Another person chimes in, saying that complex analysis was easier than real analysis in their experience, and the conversation shifts to discussing the use of complex analysis in different fields of study.
shamieh
I'm in Calculus III now, let me just tell you all - it is SO MUCH EASIER than Calculus II. I went through hell in Calculus II. Calculus III is so much easier that it's kind of ridiculous. What's Calculus 4 like?

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah I could never remember the converge diverge tests

Calc 4 was multiple Integrals at least here it was

Last edited:
shamieh said:
I'm in Calculus III now, let me just tell you all - it is SO MUCH EASIER than Calculus II. I went through hell in Calculus II. Calculus III is so much easier that it's kind of ridiculous. What's Calculus 4 like?
Your post reminds me that during college I felt like complex analysis was easier than real analysis.

shamieh said:
When I went through Calc II was integration and Calc III was 3D stuff. Calc IV sort of existed... they called it Differential Equaitons." (The catalog needed to be updated.)

Monoxdifly said:
Your post reminds me that during college I felt like complex analysis was easier than real analysis.
Well, sometimes complex analysis is. At least for us numbnuts that only have to use it, not to prove the methods.

-Dan

topsquark said:
When I went through Calc II was integration and Calc III was 3D stuff. Calc IV sort of existed... they called it Differential Equaitons." (The catalog needed to be updated.)Well, sometimes complex analysis is. At least for us numbnuts that only have to use it, not to prove the methods.

Well, college students did only need to prove the methods.

Monoxdifly said:
Well, college students did only need to prove the methods.
(Bandit) Not me. I was in a Physics curriculum.

-Dan

Related to Calculus III is SO MUCH EASIER than Calculus II

1. Why is Calculus III considered easier than Calculus II?

Calculus III builds upon the concepts learned in Calculus II, so students often find it easier to understand the material. Additionally, Calculus III is more focused on three-dimensional space, which is more intuitive for many students compared to the abstract concepts in Calculus II.

2. What topics are covered in Calculus III?

Calculus III typically covers multivariable calculus, including topics such as partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus. It also introduces students to concepts such as vector fields and line and surface integrals.

3. Is there less memorization required in Calculus III?

While there is still some memorization required in Calculus III, it is significantly less than in Calculus II. This is because many of the formulas and concepts in Calculus III can be derived from basic principles, rather than simply memorizing them.

4. Do I need to have a strong foundation in Calculus II to do well in Calculus III?

While it is helpful to have a strong understanding of Calculus II before moving on to Calculus III, it is not necessary. Many students find that they understand the material better in Calculus III, even if they struggled in Calculus II.

5. Are the math and problem-solving skills required for Calculus III different from those in Calculus II?

The math and problem-solving skills required for Calculus III are similar to those in Calculus II, but there is often more emphasis on visualizing and understanding three-dimensional concepts. Additionally, students may need to use vector notation and understand vector operations in Calculus III.