Printing on a comp. w/o the app.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with printing a file on a computer that does not have the necessary font installed. The options of embedding the font within the word document or copying it to a floppy disk and transferring it to another computer are mentioned, but it is noted that the embedding option did not work.
turin
Homework Helper
Is there a way that I can print a file on a computer that doesn't have software to read the file?

I have a very specialized font installed for MS word on my computer, but no printer. I have access to a computer lab with excellent printing resources, but these computers will not have the particular font. I would really like to use the computer lab superior printing capabilities.

I tried creating a *.pdf file, but the computer said it didn't recognize the font.

I tried pasting into paint, but I lost a butt load of resolution.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You should be able to embed the font within the word doc. Its an option, but I don't recall were or how to do it. Ask the stupid dog/paper clip for some help on embedded fonts. I'm sure its covered in M$ Office help.

Thanks, faust9. I'll try that when I get home.

Lol, yea that dog-paper clip is annoying...

Or... go to c:\windows\fonts directory and copy the font you need to a floppy and then paste the font from the floppy to the ..\fonts directory on the computer at your School. Sometimes it is picky with the copy and paste command but dragging and dropping the font will work.

HTH,

Just FYI to anyone, the embedding did not work.

1. How can I print on a computer without using an app?

There are a few different ways you can print on a computer without using an app. One option is to connect your printer directly to your computer using a USB cable. Another option is to use the built-in printing functionality in your operating system. You can also use a web browser to print from online documents or websites.

2. Can I print wirelessly without using an app?

Yes, you can print wirelessly without using an app. Many newer printers have built-in Wi-Fi capabilities that allow them to connect to your computer or mobile device without the need for an app. You can also use a wireless print server or connect to a wireless printer through your home network.

3. What if my printer doesn't have Wi-Fi or USB capabilities?

If your printer does not have Wi-Fi or USB capabilities, you may still be able to print without using an app. Some printers have Bluetooth connectivity, which allows them to connect to your computer or mobile device wirelessly. You can also use a print server that connects to your printer's USB port and allows it to be used wirelessly.

4. Are there any limitations to printing without using an app?

The limitations of printing without an app will depend on your specific printer and operating system. Some printers may have limited functionality when connected directly to a computer without an app. Additionally, you may not be able to access all of the features and settings that are available through a printer app.

5. Can I print from my mobile device without using an app?

Yes, you can print from your mobile device without using an app. Many printers have mobile printing capabilities, allowing you to print directly from your phone or tablet without the need for an app. You can also use a wireless print server or connect to a wireless printer through your home network to print from your mobile device.