Calculus: I can't understand why curl of gradient of a scalar is zero

In summary, the curl of the gradient of a scalar function is always zero. This is because the gradient of a scalar function gives a conservative vector field, and the closed path integral of a conservative field is always zero. The reason why the gradient of the divergence of a vector function is not always zero is because the gradient of an arbitrary charge density is not always zero. However, the divergence of the curl of a vector function is always zero, as explained by the concept of a solenoidal vector field.
chingcx
(Sorry, the title should read "...why curl of gradient of a scalar "function" is zero)

Of course I know how to compute curl, graident, divergence. Algebrically I know curl of gradient of a scalar function is zero.

But I want to know the reason behind this...and also the reason why gradient of divergence of a vector function is always zero.

This really makes me feeling bad for a long time. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The gradient of a scalar function would always give a conservative vector field. Now think carefully about what curl is. If you've done an E&M course with vector calculus, think back to the time when the textbook (or your course notes) derived [tex]\nabla \times \mathbf{H} = \mathbf{J}[/tex] using Ampere's circuital law. What is the closed path integral of a conservative field?

I'm wondering about your second question too...

chingcx said:
But I want to know the reason behind this...and also the reason why gradient of divergence of a vector function is always zero.

Is this true? In Gauss's law, the divergence of the electric field is to equal an arbitrary charge density. I would be surprised if the gradient of an arbitrary charge density is zero.

[tex]\nabla(\nabla \cdot \vec F) = 0[/tex]

is certainly false. I think you mean

[tex]\nabla \cdot (\nabla \times \vec F) = 0[/tex]

which is true.

chingcx said:
(Sorry, the title should read "...why curl of gradient of a scalar "function" is zero)

Hi chingcx! :smile:

(curl grad f)x = ∂/∂y(∂f/∂z) - ∂/∂z(∂A/∂y) = 0

Similarly, div curl A = 0
...and also the reason why gradient of divergence of a vector function is always zero.

But (grad div A)x = ∂/∂x(∂Ax/∂x) + ∂/∂x(∂Ay/∂y) + ∂/∂x(∂Ax/∂z) ≠ 0 :smile:

atyy said:
Is this true? In Gauss's law, the divergence of the electric field is to equal an arbitrary charge density. I would be surprised if the gradient of an arbitrary charge density is zero.
Hey you're right. Wow I can't believe I didn't even bother thinking about whether it might be correct, as opposed to why it might be correct.

Ben Niehoff said:
[tex]\nabla(\nabla \cdot \vec F) = 0[/tex]

is certainly false. I think you mean

[tex]\nabla \cdot (\nabla \times \vec F) = 0[/tex]

which is true.

ya, sorry, I mean divergence of curl of vector function is always zero. Why is that true?

Related to Calculus: I can't understand why curl of gradient of a scalar is zero

What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change and accumulation, using limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series.

What is the gradient of a scalar?

The gradient of a scalar is a vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase of the scalar function at a given point. It is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each independent variable.

What is the curl of a vector field?

The curl of a vector field is a vector operation that measures the tendency of the vector field to rotate about a point. It is calculated by taking the cross product of the gradient of the vector field with the unit vector in the direction of rotation.

Why is the curl of the gradient of a scalar zero?

This is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus for Vector Fields. It states that the curl of the gradient of a scalar function is always zero because the gradient of a scalar function only measures changes in the magnitude of the function, not changes in direction.

What is the practical application of this concept?

This concept is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. One practical application is in fluid dynamics, where the curl of the velocity field is related to the vorticity, which describes the rotation of fluid particles.