Which method for this DE?

• Thread starter AndyW
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation discusses the best approach for solving a differential equation and concludes that using a change of variable method would be the most effective. However, in order to successfully solve the equation, the constants need to be eliminated using a specific method. The conversation suggests finding the solutions to a linear system and then changing the variables to solve the problem.
AndyW
I'm new to DEs, and can do most I've come across so far, but this has me stumped:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{4x-2y+4}{2x+y-2}[/tex]

Out of these methods which should I use?

1 Integrating Factor
2 Seperable
3 Bernoulli
4 Change of Variable (y=xv)

I'm pretty sure it's the 4th but I've not been able to find a solution. Could someone confirm that this is the correct approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically, yes, however:
You'll remain stumped as long as you do not "eliminate" the constants in your expression (that would be +4 in the numerator, -2 in the denominator).

In order to eliminate these constants in an acceptable manner, use the following trick:
Find the solutions [tex]x_{0},y_{0}[/tex] of the linear system:

4x-2y+4=0
2x+y-2=0

This yields: [tex]x_{0}=0,y_{0}=2[/tex]
Now change the scales:
[tex]\hat{x}=x-x_{0}, \hat{y}(\hat{x})=y(x)-y_{0}[/tex]

In the hatted variables, you now have the differential equation:
[tex]\frac{d\hat{y}}{d\hat{x}}=\frac{4\hat{x}-2\hat{y}}{2\hat{x}+\hat{y}}[/tex]

This should help you solve the problem..

It is indeed the correct approach to use the change of variable (y=xv) method for this differential equation. This method is used when the equation is not in a standard form that can be easily solved by other methods such as separation of variables or Bernoulli's method. By substituting y=xv, the equation can be transformed into a separable form and then solved using the standard methods.

However, it is important to note that not all differential equations can be solved by a single method. Sometimes, a combination of methods may be needed to find a solution. So, it is always a good idea to try different methods and see which one works best for a particular equation. In this case, it seems like the change of variable method is the most suitable one, but if you are unable to find a solution using that method, you can try other methods as well.

1. What is the best method for solving a differential equation?

The best method for solving a differential equation depends on the specific characteristics of the equation, such as its order, linearity, and initial/boundary conditions. Some common methods include separation of variables, substitution, and variation of parameters.

2. How do I know which method to use for a specific differential equation?

The best way to determine which method to use is to analyze the characteristics of the differential equation. For example, if the equation is separable, then separation of variables is the best method. If it is linear, then substitution or variation of parameters may be more appropriate. It is also helpful to consult a differential equations textbook or consult with a math tutor for guidance.

3. Are there any general guidelines for choosing a method for solving a differential equation?

Yes, there are some general guidelines that can help in choosing a method. For example, if the equation is first-order and separable, then separation of variables is usually the best method. If the equation is second-order and linear, then substitution or variation of parameters may be useful. It is also important to consider the initial/boundary conditions and whether the equation can be transformed into a simpler form before choosing a method.

4. Can I use different methods for different parts of a differential equation?

Yes, it is possible to use different methods for different parts of a differential equation. For example, if an equation is partially separable and partially linear, it may be necessary to use a combination of separation of variables and substitution. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and determine the best method for each part.

5. Is there a "one size fits all" method for solving differential equations?

No, there is no one method that can be used to solve all types of differential equations. Each equation has its own unique characteristics and may require a specific method or combination of methods for a solution to be found. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and choose the most appropriate method for solving it.