Calculus 2 math project: Calculating orbital work

In summary, the method used to calculate the work to go from Earth to low Mars orbit is through an improper integral. The final kinetic energy is 6.783x10^11J.
AndrewC
1. My calculus 2 math teacher has us doing a project, involving calculus, on any topic we choose. I chose the topic of calculating work, as in Force x Distance. Specifically calculating work done by lifting a mass into orbit, or to escape velocity. A method is used in my textbook for calculating the work to go from Earth's surface to an orbital altitude using an integral from a to b, and also to escape velocity with the upper limit of the integral being infinity. I wanted to use this same method but instead to calculate the work to go from a low Earth orbit to a low Mars orbit. I'm specifically thinking of the Hermes orbital spacecraft from the Martian movie. I want to calculate how much work it would require to get to mars.

Homework Equations

:[/B]

F=Gm1m2/R^2

Ke=(1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm no expert in orbital mechanics so I mostly had to guess on the method I used. My assumption was that once a spacecraft leaves Earth's gravity well, at escape velocity, it will simply coast until it is within the vicinity of Mars. Another assumption is that any orbit the craft is in besides about the sun would be perfectly circular (I realize how impossible this is). This means I wasn't concerned with the path the spacecraft would take. My only concern was how much it would need to use its propulsion system, and thus how much work would be done.

First calculation:
The work required to build the hermes spacecraft in a 1000km orbit around Earth. I couldn't find the actual orbital altitude, so I guessed. Obviously in reality the craft would have been built in sections, with multiple rocket launches, but the total work required would be the same as if it had all been launched at once. I also estimated its mass to be comparable to the ISS, as they are similar in size and structure.

F=Gm1m2/R^2 Definite integral from a to b yields:

Gm1m2(1/a-1/b)
use mass of Earth = 5.98x10^24, gravitational constant = 6.67x10^-11, and mass of spacecraft = 420,000 kg.
let a = radius of Earth = 6.37x10^6 meters, let b = orbital height + Earth radius = 6.37x10^6+10^6 meters.

Plugging in we get 3.56836596×10^12 Joules. This is where i noticed my first problem. If you plug the calculated kinetic energy into Ke=(1/2)mv^2 and solve for v the velocity comes out much to small, it apparently only works for the kinetic energy at escape velocity:

I then calculated the same integral but instead letting a= orbital altitude + Earth radius, b = infinity, and setting up an improper integral. This gave me 2.273x10^13 J. Adding those two together, and setting (1/2)mv^2 equal to the total Joules gives the escape velocity 11,190.75 m/s.

The reason I did the part above as two integrals is the hermes spacecraft would have only needed to use its propulsion system from its orbital height to escape velocity.

Ultimately to find the total Kinetic energy I calculated the kinetic energy the spacecraft would have at Mars escape velocity, which = 5.279x10^12 J. In order to achieve this; after the craft was close to the edge of Mars' sphere of influence it would have to shed 2.10199x10^12 J. That brings it down to the kinetic energy at Mars escape velocity. Tt would require a further reduction of 4.6007x10^12 J to get down to a low 500km Mars orbit. I calculated the energy reduction using the same method as above except with Mars mass and radius.

So the final kinetic energy is:

(kinetic energy from escaping earth) - (kinetic energy slowing down before mars) - (kinetic energy to low Mars orbit) = (2.62984x10^13J) - (2.10199x10^13) - (4.6007x10^12) = 6.783x10^11J at 500km Mars orbit.
The total energy used would be adding 2.273x10^13 + 2.10199x10^13 + 6.783x10^11 = 4.83566x10^13J

Sorry there is so much writing, but I'd really appreciate any feedback on this. If any clarification is needed I apologize I'm quite new to using this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
AndrewC said:
1. My calculus 2 math teacher has us doing a project, involving calculus, on any topic we choose. I chose the topic of calculating work, as in Force x Distance. Specifically calculating work done by lifting a mass into orbit, or to escape velocity. A method is used in my textbook for calculating the work to go from Earth's surface to an orbital altitude using an integral from a to b, and also to escape velocity with the upper limit of the integral being infinity. I wanted to use this same method but instead to calculate the work to go from a low Earth orbit to a low Mars orbit. I'm specifically thinking of the Hermes orbital spacecraft from the Martian movie. I want to calculate how much work it would require to get to mars.

2. Homework Equations :

F=Gm1m2/R^2

Ke=(1/2)mv^23. The Attempt at a Solution

I'm no expert in orbital mechanics so I mostly had to guess on the method I used. My assumption was that once a spacecraft leaves Earth's gravity well, at escape velocity, it will simply coast until it is within the vicinity of Mars. Another assumption is that any orbit the craft is in besides about the sun would be perfectly circular (I realize how impossible this is). This means I wasn't concerned with the path the spacecraft would take. My only concern was how much it would need to use its propulsion system, and thus how much work would be done.

First calculation:
The work required to build the hermes spacecraft in a 1000km orbit around Earth. I couldn't find the actual orbital altitude, so I guessed. Obviously in reality the craft would have been built in sections, with multiple rocket launches, but the total work required would be the same as if it had all been launched at once. I also estimated its mass to be comparable to the ISS, as they are similar in size and structure.

F=Gm1m2/R^2 Definite integral from a to b yields:

Gm1m2(1/a-1/b)
use mass of Earth = 5.98x10^24, gravitational constant = 6.67x10^-11, and mass of spacecraft = 420,000 kg.
let a = radius of Earth = 6.37x10^6 meters, let b = orbital height + Earth radius = 6.37x10^6+10^6 meters.

Plugging in we get 3.56836596×10^12 Joules. This is where i noticed my first problem. If you plug the calculated kinetic energy into Ke=(1/2)mv^2 and solve for v the velocity comes out much to small, it apparently only works for the kinetic energy at escape velocity:

I then calculated the same integral but instead letting a= orbital altitude + Earth radius, b = infinity, and setting up an improper integral. This gave me 2.273x10^13 J. Adding those two together, and setting (1/2)mv^2 equal to the total Joules gives the escape velocity 11,190.75 m/s.

The reason I did the part above as two integrals is the hermes spacecraft would have only needed to use its propulsion system from its orbital height to escape velocity.

Ultimately to find the total Kinetic energy I calculated the kinetic energy the spacecraft would have at Mars escape velocity, which = 5.279x10^12 J. In order to achieve this; after the craft was close to the edge of Mars' sphere of influence it would have to shed 2.10199x10^12 J. That brings it down to the kinetic energy at Mars escape velocity. Tt would require a further reduction of 4.6007x10^12 J to get down to a low 500km Mars orbit. I calculated the energy reduction using the same method as above except with Mars mass and radius.

So the final kinetic energy is:

(kinetic energy from escaping earth) - (kinetic energy slowing down before mars) - (kinetic energy to low Mars orbit) = (2.62984x10^13J) - (2.10199x10^13) - (4.6007x10^12) = 6.783x10^11J at 500km Mars orbit.
The total energy used would be adding 2.273x10^13 + 2.10199x10^13 + 6.783x10^11 = 4.83566x10^13J

Sorry there is so much writing, but I'd really appreciate any feedback on this. If any clarification is needed I apologize I'm quite new to using this forum.
Please avoid posting your message in bold font---it looks like you are yelling at us. I have edited out the bolding in the above, but I cannot do it in your original message---only you can do that. Just go to the start of your message (in Edit), outline the parts you want to "unbold" (by using the mouse to do the selection), then "unclick" the B button at the top of the input panel. I realize that since you are new here you probably did not intend your whole message to come out in bold font, but now that you are aware of the possibility, you should always preview your message to make sure it is as you want it.
Mod note: I edited the original post, as well as this one to get the quotes as they should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi sorry it took me so long to respond. Okay I saw it was in bold and I knew it was wrong. I think it was so late at night and I was pretty tired so I didn't take the time to edit it carefully enough, sorry about that. I don't see an option anywhere to edit the original post?

Related to Calculus 2 math project: Calculating orbital work

1. What is the purpose of calculating orbital work in Calculus 2?

The purpose of calculating orbital work in Calculus 2 is to determine the amount of work done by a force on an object moving in a circular or elliptical orbit around a central body. This is important in understanding the dynamics of celestial bodies and their movements.

2. How is orbital work calculated?

Orbital work can be calculated using the equation W = F * d * cos(theta), where W is the work, F is the force exerted by the central body, d is the distance traveled by the object, and theta is the angle between the force and the direction of motion. This equation is derived from the principles of calculus and is a fundamental concept in orbital mechanics.

3. What units are used for orbital work?

The units for orbital work are typically joules (J), which is the unit for energy. This is because work is a measure of energy transfer, and in the case of orbital work, it represents the energy required to move an object from one point in its orbit to another.

4. How does orbital work relate to the conservation of energy?

Orbital work is closely related to the conservation of energy in that it is a measure of the energy transfer that occurs in an orbital system. According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the case of orbital work, the energy of the object is transferred from potential energy to kinetic energy and vice versa as it moves in its orbit.

5. What are some real-world applications of orbital work calculations?

The calculations of orbital work have many real-world applications, particularly in the field of space travel and satellite technology. Understanding orbital work is crucial in designing spacecraft trajectories and predicting the movement of satellites in orbit. It is also used in the design of rocket propulsion systems and in the study of celestial mechanics.