Calculus 1 Book: "Intuitive and Physical Approach" - Have You Used It?

In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Calculus an Intuitive and Physical Approach" by Morris Kline and its usefulness for self-teaching calculus and its applicability to physics. There is also a discussion on where single variable calculus ends and the coverage of vector calculus in the book. The conversation also includes recommendations for alternate calculus and physics textbooks. Overall, the book is recommended for those interested in self-teaching calculus with a focus on physics.
Stratosphere
I have order: Calculus an Intuitive and Physical Approach, and It is due to arrive tomorrow. I had wanted to buy it because I wanted to learn some physics along with the calculus however now I am starting to think that maybe it was a bad choice since I was thinking that it wasn't a very good book, it might not explain things well or it won't teach me all of the calculus 1 that a pure calculus book would. Have any of you used this book before? I can always send it back and buy a pure calculus book.

P.S I am self teaching it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of criticizing a book you have hardly read, you should probably stick with it for the first few chapters or so. If you don't have the patience to do that, you're not ready for a "pure" calculus book. If it is the morris kline book you are talking about, I very much doubt that it will fail to explain things poorly.

Assuming you're talking about Calculus an Intuitive and Physical Approach by Morris Kline, I think that the book should work wonderfully for self-teaching yourself. I spent a great deal of last summer self-teaching myself calculus from that book and, while I'm no calculus guru, I certainly understand and have a handle on the calculational aspects of calculus. The book usually tries to provide some measure of proof for any of the major theorems and techniques of calculus (though they are usually informal). Comparing Kline's text to a theory oriented text like Spivak's, Kline definitely doesn't discuss things to the same depth but this is usually alright for a first introduction to calculus. This is just my experience with the text.

What does this book cover? Or calculus 1 and 2?

Last edited:
It has Calc I,2, and 3.

However, it doesn't have vector calculus(calc 4), which is essential to physics

Do you happen to know were single variable calculus ends?

Stratosphere said:

It covers differentiation, integration, elementary differential equations, and series.

Stratosphere said:

Before the chapter on "functions of several variables?"

Pinu7 said:
It has Calc I,2, and 3.

However, it doesn't have vector calculus(calc 4), which is essential to physics

There's no such thing as calc 4.

Stratosphere said:
There's no such thing as calc 4.

I think he meant vector calculus, which I don't see just browsing through its contents :rolleyes:

Some offer vector calculus as a separate course (thus being Calc 4), or sometimes it is included in a Calculus 3 class.

You don't need much vector calculus for mechanics(albeit the line integral definition of work).

But electromagnetism is basically applied vector calculus.

Personally, I think it is just better to get a calculus only book. "Math for Physicists" books are usually watered down/hard to follow/lacks rigor. Get a standard calculus textbook and buy your physics book separately.

Suggestions-

Calculus
Calculus- Stewart (standard text is introductory calculus; probably recommended by 80% of PF)
Calculus: Early Transcendentals-Anton (I like this a bit better)

Introductory Physics
Physics for scientists and Engineers-Tipler (standard first year uni text; a very nice introduction to basic physics concepts and a basic introduction to "modern physics" needs basic concepts of calculus.)
An Introduction to Mechanics-Kleppner (Needs mastery of Calc 1&2. One of the more advanced undergraduate mechanics books. Highly recommended.)

The book I'm reading: Calculus an Intuitive and Physical Approach, has a section for the analytical geometry of ellipse and hyperbola, will I need this?

Stratosphere said:
The book I'm reading: Calculus an Intuitive and Physical Approach, has a section for the analytical geometry of ellipse and hyperbola, will I need this?

Yes.

Related to Calculus 1 Book: "Intuitive and Physical Approach" - Have You Used It?

1. What is the "Intuitive and Physical Approach" in this Calculus 1 book?

The "Intuitive and Physical Approach" in this book refers to the teaching style and methodology used to explain the concepts of calculus. This approach aims to make the subject more accessible to students by using real-world examples and intuitive explanations instead of just relying on abstract mathematical equations.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in calculus?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners in calculus. The "Intuitive and Physical Approach" used in this book makes it ideal for students who are new to the subject and may struggle with traditional textbooks that focus on mathematical notation and formulas.

3. Are there any interactive elements in this book?

Yes, this book contains interactive elements such as diagrams, graphs, and practice problems to help students better understand the concepts of calculus. Additionally, the book also provides online resources and exercises for further practice and reinforcement.

4. How does this book differ from other calculus textbooks?

This book stands out from other calculus textbooks because of its focus on the intuitive and physical approach. Instead of just presenting mathematical concepts, this book also explains how these concepts apply to real-world situations, making it easier for students to grasp and retain the information.

5. Have you personally used this book in your teaching or research?

As a scientist, I have not personally used this book in my research, but I have recommended it to my students who have found it helpful in understanding the fundamentals of calculus. I appreciate the book's approach in making the subject more accessible and engaging for students.