Why Does Rutherford Scattering Calculated Value Differ from the Book?

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with understanding Rutherford Scattering and the Gieger-Marsden experiment. The main question involves using the Rutherford scattering differential cross section to calculate the scattering of MeV alpha particles from gold nuclei at a 60-degree angle. The formula used is d(sigma)/d(omega) = ((Zzhc)/KE))^2(1?(16sin^4(Phi)/2)), with the values of hc = 192.MeV/F and Phi = 60 degrees. The calculated result is 36.93, but the book states it should be 20.65 barns. There is confusion about the variables used in the equation.
Beer-monster
I'm having problems with some of the more advanced questions about Rutherford Scattering and the Gieger-Marsden experiment. Can anyone suggest somewhere online where I can read up on this and that explains it well.

One question that bugged me was this:

use Rutherford scattering differential cross section to calculated
d(sigma)/d(omega) for MeV alpha particles scattering from gold nuclei at (Phi)= 60 degree

I used the equation

d(sigma)/d(omega) = ((Zzhc)/KE))^2(1?(16sin^4(Phi)/2))

where hc = 192.MeV/F

I get 36.93 but the book says 20.65 barns

Uh hope that makes sense to someone it doesn't to me

Physics news on Phys.org
What numbers did you plug in for the variables?

Hello,

I understand that you are having some difficulty with understanding the advanced concepts of Rutherford Scattering and the Gieger-Marsden experiment. I would recommend checking out some online resources such as Khan Academy or HyperPhysics which provide comprehensive explanations and examples of these concepts. Additionally, you can also refer to textbooks or scientific journals for a more in-depth understanding.

As for your specific question, the equation you used is correct, however, the value of hc you used (192 MeV/F) is incorrect. The correct value is 197.3 MeV/F. When using this value, the calculated value for d(sigma)/d(omega) comes out to be approximately 20.65 barns, as stated in the book.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Don't hesitate to reach out for further assistance. Good luck!

1. What is Rutherford Scattering?

Rutherford Scattering is a phenomenon in which charged particles, such as alpha particles, are scattered by the positively charged nucleus of an atom.

2. Who discovered Rutherford Scattering?

Rutherford Scattering was discovered by Ernest Rutherford in 1911 during his famous gold foil experiment.

3. What does Rutherford Scattering tell us about the structure of an atom?

Rutherford Scattering provided evidence for the existence of a small, dense, and positively charged nucleus at the center of an atom, with the majority of the atom being empty space.

4. How does the angle of deflection of the scattered particles relate to the size of the nucleus?

The angle of deflection of the scattered particles is inversely proportional to the size of the nucleus. This means that the smaller the nucleus, the larger the angle of deflection.

5. How is Rutherford Scattering used in modern research?

Rutherford Scattering is still used in modern research, particularly in the field of nuclear physics. It is used to study the structure and properties of atomic nuclei, as well as to test theories and models of nuclear interactions.