Calculations using Saturated Vapour Pressure

In summary, the question is about subtracting 6.28kPa from the normal atmospheric pressure of 101.1kPa when calculating the partial pressure of a gas in SVP conditions. The gas in question is oxygen in an atmosphere saturated with water vapour. The reason for subtracting the SVP is due to the increase in water vapour concentration, which adds more molecules but does not change the total pressure. This results in a decrease in the partial pressures contributed by oxygen and nitrogen.
Equium
Hi all, new here, so don't know if this is the right place. All the other places in the forum seemed like advanced stuff!

Anyway, i don't understand why when calculating the partial pressure of a gas in SVP conditions, you subtract 6.28kPa from the normal atomospheric pressure of 101.1kPa? Could someone explain the rationale of why that's done please?

If it helps, you can email me the answer to my email: blue.rascal [at] hotmail.com

Thank you all and Merry Xmas!

Equium

Physics news on Phys.org
Equium said:
Hi all, new here, so don't know if this is the right place. All the other places in the forum seemed like advanced stuff!

Anyway, i don't understand why when calculating the partial pressure of a gas in SVP conditions, you subtract 6.28kPa from the normal atomospheric pressure of 101.1kPa? Could someone explain the rationale of why that's done please?
What temperature are you talking about? What substance has a vapour pressure of 6.28 kPa at normal atmospheric pressure and at that temperature?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
What temperature are you talking about? What substance has a vapour pressure of 6.28 kPa at normal atmospheric pressure and at that temperature?

AM
Hi Andrew, thanks for the reply.

Sorry for not making it clear. I meant water vapour has a SVP of 6.28kPa at 37 deg C.

When calculating the partial pressure of a particular gas, say Oxygen, in the atmosphere which is saturated with water vapour, you minus 6.28kPa from the normal atmospheric total pressure of 101.1kPa and then find 21% (oxygen content in air) of that.

So I want to know why it is that you subtract the svp (6.28kPa) from the total pressure (101.1kPa) in such a calculation?

Equium said:
Hi Andrew, thanks for the reply.

Sorry for not making it clear. I meant water vapour has a SVP of 6.28kPa at 37 deg C.

When calculating the partial pressure of a particular gas, say Oxygen, in the atmosphere which is saturated with water vapour, you minus 6.28kPa from the normal atmospheric total pressure of 101.1kPa and then find 21% (oxygen content in air) of that.

So I want to know why it is that you subtract the svp (6.28kPa) from the total pressure (101.1kPa) in such a calculation?
Ok. I see what you are trying to do.

The concentration of Oxygen, O2, in the dry air is 21% by volume. The concentration of Nitrogen, N2 is atmosphere is 78% by volume of dry air. This relative proportion of O2 to N2 does not change. As water vapour concentration increases, the air becomes heavier as water molecules are added to the same population of O2 and N2 molecules. But the total pressure does not change. There are just more molecules which take up more volume at the same pressure. So the partial pressures contributed by O2 and N2 must decrease.

Oh, and welcome to PF, by the way!

AM

Related to Calculations using Saturated Vapour Pressure

1. What is saturated vapour pressure?

Saturated vapour pressure is the pressure exerted by a gas when it is in equilibrium with its liquid phase at a given temperature. It is a measure of the maximum amount of gas that can be present in a closed system without any liquid evaporating or condensing.

2. What factors affect the saturated vapour pressure of a substance?

The saturated vapour pressure of a substance is primarily affected by temperature, as well as the intermolecular forces between the molecules of the substance. The type of substance and the presence of other substances in the system can also have an impact on the saturated vapour pressure.

3. How is saturated vapour pressure calculated?

Saturated vapour pressure is calculated using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, which relates the pressure and temperature at which a liquid and its vapour are in equilibrium. The equation takes into account the enthalpy of vaporization and the gas constant of the substance.

4. What is the significance of saturated vapour pressure in thermodynamics?

Saturated vapour pressure is important in thermodynamics as it is used to determine the phase equilibrium of a substance. It also plays a role in the calculation of other thermodynamic properties, such as enthalpy and entropy.

5. How can saturated vapour pressure be used in practical applications?

Knowledge of saturated vapour pressure is important in various industries, such as in the design and operation of distillation processes, refrigeration systems, and in the production of food and pharmaceuticals. It can also be used in weather forecasting, as the saturation vapour pressure of water is a key factor in the formation of clouds and precipitation.