Calculations for a ball tossed vertically upward

In summary, the conversation discusses an attempt to substitute 1/2T for T in a formula, as well as plugging in Vo into another equation and using a value for t. However, there is a discrepancy with the number of equations and unknowns, and the fact that H is the highest height has not been taken into account.
jaewonjung
Homework Statement
A child tosses a ball directly upward. Its total time in the air is T. Its maximum height is H. What is its height after it has been in the air a time T/4? Neglect air resistance. The answer should be in terms of H.
Relevant Equations
h=vot + 1/2gt^2
I tried to substitute 1/2T in for T, because 1/2 T is when the ball is at H. With that, I found Vo, which was (H-1/8gT^2)/(1/2T).

I plugged in Vo into h=vot+1/2gt^2 and put 1/4 T for t, but I could not get an answer in terms of H

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you might have better luck with this if you say that ##t = 0## when ##h_0 = H##.

jaewonjung said:
I tried to substitute 1/2T in for T, because 1/2 T is when the ball is at H. With that, I found Vo, which was (H-1/8gT^2)/(1/2T).

I plugged in Vo into h=vot+1/2gt^2 and put 1/4 T for t, but I could not get an answer in terms of H
Are you taking g to be positive (i.e. 9.81m/s2) or negative?
You have two equations but three unknowns. You have not used the fact that H is the highest height.

Related to Calculations for a ball tossed vertically upward

1. How do you calculate the maximum height of a ball tossed vertically upward?

The maximum height of a ball tossed vertically upward can be calculated using the equation h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the formula for calculating the time it takes for a ball to reach its maximum height?

The formula for calculating the time it takes for a ball to reach its maximum height is t = v0sinθ/g, where t is the time, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How do you determine the velocity of a ball at a specific height when tossed vertically upward?

The velocity of a ball at a specific height can be determined using the equation v = √(v02 - 2gh), where v is the velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height.

4. What is the acceleration of a ball tossed vertically upward?

The acceleration of a ball tossed vertically upward is constant and equal to the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s2.

5. How do you calculate the total distance traveled by a ball tossed vertically upward?

The total distance traveled by a ball tossed vertically upward can be calculated by adding the maximum height reached by the ball to the initial height from which it was thrown. This can be represented by the equation d = h + h0, where d is the total distance, h is the maximum height, and h0 is the initial height.