Calculation when Mixing Two Compounds....

In summary: Combine terms of the same variable on one side. ..0.7x+y=0.8x+0.8y . .Then subtract 0.8x from both sides. ..-0.1x + y = 0.8y . .Subtract 0.8y from both sides. ..-0.1x = -0.2y . .Now multiply both sides by -10. ..x = 2y . .Multiply both sides by 0.5. ..y = 0.5x . .In summary, to achieve a concentration of 80% compound A and 20% compound B, you would need to mix 2 parts of the 70%
haubenkoch
Dear Comunity,

I am running into a (probably pretty simple) problem here, yet the most simple things are sometimes upon me...:(

I have a liquid solution which consists of 70% compound A and 30% compound B.
I also have a bottle with 100% compound A.

What I would like to do is to achieve a concentration of 80% compound A and 20% compound B. Can someone tell me how this is calculated?

I was thinking of something like c1*v1=c2*v2 but this doesn't get me anywhere...am I missing something?

Any help on this would be very much appreciated!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would set it up as follows:

Let $x$ be the amount of solution you currently have, the 7:3 mix. Then let $y$ be the amount of 100% compound A you wish to add. Thus we want:

\(\displaystyle 0.7x+y=0.8(x+y)\)

Do you see how both sides of the equation represent the amount of compound A present in the final solution? The left side represents the initial amount of compound A plus the amount added. The right side reflects the fact that we want 80% of the final amount to be compound A.

Now you may solve this for $y$ as a function of $x$. What do you find?

Hello, haubenkoch!

We can disregard references to compound B.

I have a liquid solution which is 70% alcohol.
I also have a bottle with 100% alcohol.

I would like a concentration of 80% alcohol.

This is an explanation of MarkFL's solution.Let [tex]x[/tex] = liters of 70% alcohol.
It contains [tex]0.7x[/tex] liters of alcohol.

We add [tex]y[/tex] liters of 100% alcohol.
It contains [tex]y[/tex] liters of alcohol.

The mixture contains [tex]0.7x + y[/tex] liters of alcohol. .[1]But we know that the mixture will be
. . [tex]x+y[/tex] liters which is 80% alcohol.
It contains [tex]0.8(x+y)[/tex] liters of alcohol. .[2]We just described the final amount of alcohol in two ways.

There is our equation! ..[tex]0.7x + y \:=\:0.8(x+y)[/tex]

Related to Calculation when Mixing Two Compounds....

1. How do you calculate the concentration of a mixture when mixing two compounds?

The concentration of a mixture is calculated by dividing the total amount of the compound by the total volume of the mixture. This can be expressed as a percentage or in molarity (moles per liter).

2. What is the equation for calculating the molarity of a solution?

The equation for calculating molarity is M = moles of solute / liters of solution. This equation can also be rearranged to solve for moles or liters, depending on the given information.

3. How do you determine the final volume of a mixture when combining two solutions?

The final volume of a mixture can be calculated by adding the volumes of the individual solutions. For example, if you mix 50 mL of Solution A with 75 mL of Solution B, the final volume of the mixture will be 125 mL.

4. What is the difference between molarity and molality?

Molarity is a measure of concentration in terms of moles per liter of solution, while molality is a measure of concentration in terms of moles per kilogram of solvent. Molarity is affected by changes in temperature, while molality is not.

5. How do you calculate the final concentration of a mixture when diluting a solution?

The final concentration of a mixture can be calculated using the formula M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 is the initial molarity, V1 is the initial volume, M2 is the final molarity, and V2 is the final volume. This formula is known as the dilution equation.