Calculation of work involving unit vectors

In summary: Work done = Force x DistanceIn summary, the work done on the grocery cart by the constant force of f = (30N)i - (40N)j while undergoing a displacement of s = (-9.0m)i - (3.0m)j is -150J. This is found by calculating the work done for the i and j unit vectors and then summing them, as work is a scalar quantity. The units are not included in the final answer because the distance was not factored into the initial calculation. Remember that work done is equal to force multiplied by distance.
bakakun028

Homework Statement

A loaded grocery cart is rolling across a parking lot in a strong wind. You apply a constant force f = (30N)i - (40N)j to the cart as it undergoes a displacement s = (-9.0m)i - (3.0m)j
How much work does the force you apply do on the grocery cart?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was assuming all I needed to do was do F*d for the i unit vector and j unit vector like so:
W = (F*d)i + (F*d)j = (30*-9)i + (-40*-3)j = (-270J)i + (120J)j

But according to the answer book, the final work has no unit vectors involved and it is the sum of those two calculated works.

-270J + 120J = -150J

How come the unit vectors are not included in the answer? Also, how come we can simply sum up the x and y W's and works like that? I know it has something to do with work being a scalar...

Physics news on Phys.org
Dot product gives you a scalar quantity. Also- i.i=1 not i.

hi bakakun028! welcome to pf! :smile:

yes, work done is always a scalar quantity (an ordinary number) :wink:

Related to Calculation of work involving unit vectors

1. What is the formula for calculating work involving unit vectors?

The formula for calculating work involving unit vectors is W = F * d * cos(theta), where W is the work done, F is the applied force, d is the displacement, and theta is the angle between the force and displacement vectors.

2. How do you determine the direction of the work done in a unit vector calculation?

The direction of the work done in a unit vector calculation is determined by the cosine of the angle between the force and displacement vectors. If the angle is less than 90 degrees, the work is considered positive, and if it is greater than 90 degrees, the work is considered negative.

3. Is work calculated differently when unit vectors are involved?

No, the calculation of work remains the same regardless of whether unit vectors are involved or not. The only difference is that the force and displacement vectors are expressed in terms of unit vectors.

4. Can you use unit vectors to calculate work in three-dimensional space?

Yes, unit vectors can be used to calculate work in three-dimensional space. The formula for calculating work remains the same, but the force and displacement vectors must be expressed in terms of three-dimensional unit vectors.

5. How do you handle negative work when using unit vectors?

If the angle between the force and displacement vectors is greater than 90 degrees, the work is considered negative. This means that the force and displacement vectors are in opposite directions. To handle negative work when using unit vectors, you can simply add a negative sign to the formula for work.