Calculation of range for signal with damping

In summary, the problem involves finding the range for a signal with a frequency of 0.5 MHz, given a transmitting power of 0.1 mW, received noise of -100 dBm, and a required SNR of 30 dB. To solve, you must first convert the power and noise values to dBm, and then use the given damping equation to calculate L in units of dB/km. Then, you can use the equation A = Ld, where A is the attenuation in dB and d is the distance in km, to solve for d and find the range of the signal.
dolle39

Homework Statement

Given the transmitting power of 0.1 mW and received noise of -100 dBm. Consider a signal which needs a SNR of 30 dB. Calculate the range for a signal of 0.5 MHz given that the damping for the signal is calculated as:

L = 10 +8.0*f [dB/km] where f is the frequency in MHz

Homework Equations

SNR = "Signal power" / "Noise Power"

S_dBm = 10 log * (P1 / 1mw)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am kinda stuck on how to approach this problem so suggestions are mostly welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
dolle39 said:

Homework Statement

Given the transmitting power of 0.1 mW and received noise of -100 dBm. Consider a signal which needs a SNR of 30 dB. Calculate the range for a signal of 0.5 MHz given that the damping for the signal is calculated as:

L = 10 +8.0*f [dB/km] where f is the frequency in MHz

Homework Equations

SNR = "Signal power" / "Noise Power"

S_dBm = 10 log * (P1 / 1mw)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am kinda stuck on how to approach this problem so suggestions are mostly welcome!
There's a few things you'll need to do first before putting everything together.
  • The noise power is given, and the signal to noise ratio is also given. Calculate the necessary, received signal power (and just keep it in terms of dBm, it will make things easier that way).
  • Eventually, you will need to convert 0.1 mW to units of dBm. You might as well do that next.
  • Plug in the 0.5 MHz for f and calculate L. Now realize that L, the path loss attenuation figure, is in units of dB/km. [STRIKE]Express L as something like a/d were a is in units of dB and d is in units of km.[/STRIKE] Eventually you'll be solving for d after you put everything together.

Edit: The way I wrote that last part is sort of confusing now that I think about it. L is in units of dB/km. What you'll want to do is come up with an equation that gives attenuation, in dB, for a given distance, like A = Ld where A is the loss in units of dB, and d is the distance in km. You'll still be solving for d though, once everything is put together. That's essentially the same thing as I originally wrote, but I hope worded a little more clearly.

Last edited:

Related to Calculation of range for signal with damping

1. What is the formula for calculating the range of a signal with damping?

The formula for calculating the range of a signal with damping is R = (c * t) / 2, where R is the range, c is the speed of the signal, and t is the time it takes for the signal to travel.

2. How does damping affect the range of a signal?

Damping decreases the amplitude of a signal as it travels, which reduces the strength of the signal and therefore decreases its range.

3. Can the range of a signal with damping be increased?

No, the range of a signal with damping cannot be increased. Damping is a natural phenomenon that cannot be controlled or reversed.

4. What are some factors that can affect the damping of a signal?

The damping of a signal can be affected by the medium through which it travels, the distance it travels, and any obstacles or interference it encounters along the way.

5. How does the speed of the signal impact the range calculation?

The speed of the signal is a critical factor in the range calculation, as it directly affects the time it takes for the signal to travel and therefore the overall range of the signal. A faster signal will have a longer range compared to a slower signal.