Volume Problem - What Am I Doing Wrong?

• Thread starter allergic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about a problem involving a parabolic tunnel and calculating its volume. The individual took an integral and got a value of 134112 cubic meters, but their teacher said it was incorrect. They then discussed the different spellings of "meters" and "metres" in different countries.
allergic
Alright, so I've got this volume problem and it seemed really easy, only my answer is off, if only by a little bit. The problem is this: There is a tunnel, with a cross-section in the shape of a parabola, that is 5 meters wide and 10 meters high (I got the equation to be y=-1.6x^2 + 10). It takes someone driving 50 miles per hour 3 minutes to get through the tunnel (2.5 miles or 4023.36 meters). What is the volume of the tunnel? Well, i took the integral of y=-1.6x^2 + 10 from -2.5 to 2.5 and got 100/3. then i multiplied that by 4023.36 and got 134112 cubic meters. But my teachre says this is wrong. I used a different conversion, where the 2.5 miles equalled 4022.857 meters, and she said this was closer. Am i just off with my integration, or am I just crazy?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get 4022.5 m for the length of the tunnel. (One mile is 1.6091 km.)

thanks! :)

I know SI units are slow to catch on in the US, and there's always the spelling issues, but it's "metres". Meters being something very different indeed, or have they decided to mix the spellings up?

Last edited:
matt grime said:
I know SI units are slow to catch on in the US, and there's always the spelling issues, but it's "metres". Meters being something very different indeed, or have they decided to mix the spellings up?
In England the SI measuring unit for distance is indeed spelt "metres".

Americans use "meters," but not "metres."

cookiemonster

Zurtex said:
In England the SI measuring unit for distance is indeed spelt "metres".

In the US we spell "spelt" "spelled".

Yes, that thing makes english a bit more difficut for people like me :)

both spelt and spelled are past tenses of spell, as mow can be mown or mowed depending on the case, but that's the problem of speaking a language that thinks it is latin when it is not.

1. How do I calculate the volume of an object?

To calculate the volume of an object, you will need to measure the length, width, and height of the object. Then, use the formula: volume = length x width x height. Make sure to use the same units for all measurements (i.e. cm, inches, etc.).

2. Why is my calculated volume different from the given volume?

There could be several reasons for a discrepancy between the calculated volume and the given volume. Make sure you are using the correct formula for the shape of the object and that your measurements are accurate. Additionally, check for any conversion errors or rounding errors.

3. Can I use different units for measuring and calculating volume?

No, it is important to use the same units for all measurements and calculations in order to get an accurate result. If needed, you can convert the measurements to the same units before calculating the volume.

4. How do I find the volume of irregularly shaped objects?

If the object has an irregular shape, you can measure its displacement by placing it in a container of water and recording the change in water level. The volume of the object will be equal to the change in water level.

5. Can I use the volume of a liquid or gas to find the volume of a container?

Yes, if you know the density of the liquid or gas, you can use the formula: volume = mass / density to find the volume of the container. Make sure to measure the mass of the container when it is empty and then when it is filled with the liquid or gas.