Calculation of power for battery charging

In summary, when estimating the power required to recharge a battery, it is important to account for the charger's efficiency and the amount of power lost in the battery and the vehicle itself.
AP1
Hi - I am trying to calculate the power required to charge a battery in order to compare the energy requirements of an electric scooter versus an internal combustion scooter. The electrical scooter specifications state:

battery: 12V/50AH x 4
time to 90% charge: 4.5 - 6 hours
charger: 400W / 7A

Am I correct in assuming that to recharge a discharged battery to 90%, it would take 2.4 kWh (i.e. 400 W x 6 h)?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

AP

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think when you recharge a battery it is only about 50% efficient. I think your calculation is right.

I always thought battery chargers were more efficient than that. In any case, your numbers give 135W for the battery and 400 for the charger, an efficiency of 34%.

When someone asks me a question that involves charging efficiency (such as evaluating an electric vehicle), I typically use something like 90%. But I don't really have any basis for that.

AP1 said:
Hi - I am trying to calculate the power required to charge a battery in order to compare the energy requirements of an electric scooter versus an internal combustion scooter. The electrical scooter specifications state:

battery: 12V/50AH x 4
time to 90% charge: 4.5 - 6 hours
charger: 400W / 7A

Am I correct in assuming that to recharge a discharged battery to 90%, it would take 2.4 kWh (i.e. 400 W x 6 h)?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

AP
I guess we have to assume you are charging a lead acid battery.

Given that assumption, your assumption is not correct.

A good charger will have 2 stages:
1. Maximum current with a rising voltage
2. Maximum voltage with a descending current

So the charger will not be operating at the rated power and current over the full charge.

Without having a http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travelpower/7657/", you can estimate the power transferred to the battery by graphing the voltage and current about every 30 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all of the replies. The problem I have is that I do not have the batteries and charger to actually measure the power demand during a recharge cycle. I am trying to estimate this so that I can calculate (again, an estimation) the equivalent CO2 emission of electricity generation versus the same for a gasoline engine. I already know the CO2 emissions per kWh for the local electricity supply and so need to estimate the kWh required to charge the e-scooter battery.

AP

Chargers might reach 86% efficient but the charging process is a similar figure and then there are losses in the vehicle particular if 3 phase AC motors are used.

You must not discharge a battery too much otherwise it won't last long. They has been a debate what the Ah means?? Real useful power without demaging the battery or a 'theoretical' figure if the battery was 100% discharged.

Then there are transmission losses from the power station of 7 - 10%..

Long chains involving energy conversions add up to large overall losses.

Related to Calculation of power for battery charging

1. What is the formula for calculating power for battery charging?

The formula for calculating power for battery charging is P = IV, where P is power in watts, I is current in amperes, and V is voltage in volts.

2. How do I calculate the power needed to charge a battery?

To calculate the power needed to charge a battery, you will need to know the capacity of the battery in ampere-hours (Ah) and the time it takes to charge the battery in hours. Then, divide the battery's capacity by the charging time to get the charging current in amperes. Finally, multiply the charging current by the battery's voltage to get the power needed in watts.

3. Can I use the same power source to charge multiple batteries?

Yes, you can use the same power source to charge multiple batteries. However, you will need to make sure that the power source can supply enough current to charge all the batteries at once. You will also need to divide the total power needed by the number of batteries to determine the charging current for each battery.

4. How do I calculate the charging time for a battery?

The charging time for a battery can be calculated by dividing the battery's capacity by the charging current. For example, if a battery has a capacity of 100Ah and the charging current is 10A, the charging time would be 100Ah/10A = 10 hours.

5. Is there a maximum power limit for charging a battery?

Yes, there is a maximum power limit for charging a battery. This limit is determined by the battery's chemistry and manufacturer recommendations. Exceeding this limit can damage the battery and potentially cause safety hazards. It is important to consult the battery's specifications and follow proper charging procedures to ensure safe and efficient charging.