Calculation impact force of a bullet of an object

In summary, the conversation revolves around the calculation of impact force or stopping power of a bullet on an object. The variables involved include mass, air resistance, velocity, force, bullet weight, diameter, and density. The complexity of the problem requires taking into account the mechanical deformation behavior of the object being hit and solving non-linear equations using finite element software.
assassin1221
I been looking on google and getting help from several people who are trying to help me, but I just can't understand this. It is to advance for me as of now and I need a example to help show me. But I need this for homework so can someone help and provide formula explaining how this would. Be very appreciated.

This is a complete homemade thing so... bear with me.

I am trying to calculate the impact force or stopping power (not sure what to call it) or a bullet on an object. I need a function cause variables will be changing nothing is a set one.

Variables:
Mass of bullet
Mass of Object
Air Resistance
Velocity
Force (F=MA)
Bullet Weight
Diameter of bullet (If that has any effect or usefulness)
Density of Object (If that has any effect or usefulness)

I've tried making a custom equation, but I was told I just made it so stuff would cancel each other else cause I was thinking what would be a positive effect and offsetting it by a negative effect.

Any how would really be nice. Spent many hours on trying to get this to be as realistic as possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Knowing the mass and velocity of a bullet, you know its kinetic energy and so, in order to stop it, the object must do that amount of work on it. But that is energy, not force. There is a "conservation of energy" law, NOT "conservation of force". If you know the distance the bullet penetrates, then you could calculate the (average) stopping force by "work equals force times distance".

assassin1221 said:
I been looking on google and getting help from several people who are trying to help me, but I just can't understand this. It is to advance for me as of now and I need a example to help show me. But I need this for homework so can someone help and provide formula explaining how this would. Be very appreciated.

This is a complete homemade thing so... bear with me.

I am trying to calculate the impact force or stopping power (not sure what to call it) or a bullet on an object. I need a function cause variables will be changing nothing is a set one.

Variables:
Mass of bullet
Mass of Object
Air Resistance
Velocity
Force (F=MA)
Bullet Weight
Diameter of bullet (If that has any effect or usefulness)
Density of Object (If that has any effect or usefulness)

I've tried making a custom equation, but I was told I just made it so stuff would cancel each other else cause I was thinking what would be a positive effect and offsetting it by a negative effect.

Any how would really be nice. Spent many hours on trying to get this to be as realistic as possible.

In order to do this right, you need to take into account the mechanical deformation behavior of the body that the projectile is hitting. Certainly, hitting a steel object will be different than hitting a more compliant object, such as a very viscous liquid contained in a thin plastic pouch. You will have to solve the dynamic stress-equilibrium equations for the object, which is a set of non-linear partial differential equations. In practice, this would involve the use of finite element software. I'm not saying that this problem can't be done, but I do think you are underestimating its complexity. (You would also have to take into consideration the plastic deformation of the projectile).

Related to Calculation impact force of a bullet of an object

1. What is the formula for calculating the impact force of a bullet?

The formula for calculating the impact force of a bullet is Force = Mass x Acceleration. This means that the force of impact is directly proportional to the mass of the bullet and the acceleration at which it is traveling.

2. How do you determine the mass and acceleration of a bullet?

The mass of a bullet can be determined by weighing it on a scale. The acceleration can be calculated by dividing the velocity of the bullet by the time it takes to travel that velocity.

3. Is the impact force of a bullet affected by its shape or size?

Yes, the impact force of a bullet can be affected by its shape and size. A larger or heavier bullet will typically have a greater impact force than a smaller or lighter bullet. The shape of the bullet can also affect the force by changing its aerodynamics and how it interacts with the air and target.

4. Can the impact force of a bullet be reduced?

Yes, there are various ways to reduce the impact force of a bullet. One way is to use a bullet with a lower mass or velocity. Another way is to use materials or structures that can absorb or disperse the force, such as a bulletproof vest or a bullet-resistant barrier.

5. Is the impact force of a bullet the same as its muzzle energy?

No, the impact force of a bullet and its muzzle energy are two different measurements. Muzzle energy is the kinetic energy of the bullet as it leaves the gun barrel. The impact force is the force exerted by the bullet on a target upon impact. While they are related, they are not the same and cannot be used interchangeably.