Calculating Yo-Yo Angular Momentum on an Inclined Plane

In summary, the physics project on the yo-yo is for bonus marks and involves calculating the angular momentum of a yo-yo on an inclined plane. Without friction, the acceleration down the plane is simply mg sin\theta, but with friction, the expression for acceleration becomes more complicated and involves rotational inertia and the radius of the yo-yo. The yo-yo's unique design, with a string wound around the axle, allows for the conservation of angular momentum and the ability to climb back up the string.
Mr. Snookums
Physics project on the yo-yo. It's for bonus marks.

I need to calculate the angular momentum of a yo-yo when it leaves your hand. The hand represents an inclined plane which imparts the spin. I'm keeping it simple and won't involve friction.

What I'm trying to get at is the equation for acceleration down an inclined plane. I've drawn a free body diagram but I just can't get anywhere on it. Yo-yo's mass is 0.2kg, and the incline would be about 50 degrees, I guess.

mg for the yo-yo is 1.96N, theta is 50 degrees. How do I get the acceleration down the inclined plane?

We haven't covered inclined planes and angular momentum yet, it's not even in the curriculum. That's why it's a bonus project.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this problem involve friction?

Note the two cases

Case 1: No friction
If there is no friction, the yo yo carries no angular momentum. The acceleration is simply [tex]mg sin\theta[/tex]

Case 2: Friction
This makes things a little bit more complicated. Friction actually create angular momentum, and it also create a moment about the yo-yo. In this case you will need to express friction in terms of the rotational inertia and the radius of the yo-yo.

Good luck

Mr. Snookums said:
Physics project on the yo-yo. It's for bonus marks.

I need to calculate the angular momentum of a yo-yo when it leaves your hand. The hand represents an inclined plane which imparts the spin. I'm keeping it simple and won't involve friction.

What I'm trying to get at is the equation for acceleration down an inclined plane. I've drawn a free body diagram but I just can't get anywhere on it. Yo-yo's mass is 0.2kg, and the incline would be about 50 degrees, I guess.

mg for the yo-yo is 1.96N, theta is 50 degrees. How do I get the acceleration down the inclined plane?

We haven't covered inclined planes and angular momentum yet, it's not even in the curriculum. That's why it's a bonus project.

This would make sense if you were talking about a disk other than a yo-yo. The post by Hyperreality points out that without friction there would be no angular momentum without friction. That would be true for any old disk, and friction would be needed to impart a rotation. But a yo-yo is a different thing. The string wound around the axle makes it impossible for the yo-yo to move without beginning to rotate. If you know the radius of the axle, and you give the yo-yo an initial velocity downward, you can determine the rate of rotation in terms of the velocity and the radius. You can also calculate the change in both velocity and angular velocity (and change in momentum and angular momentum) resulting from gravity acting on the yo-yo. The fact that so much of the yo-yo energy is rotational energy is what makes the yo-yo climb back up the string to your hand. If your yo-yo is a sleeper, and you throw it hard enough there will still be plenty of energy left to climb the string even after friction slows the rotation at the bottom.

Related to Calculating Yo-Yo Angular Momentum on an Inclined Plane

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, and is calculated by multiplying the object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum different from linear momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of rotational motion, while linear momentum is a measure of an object's straight-line motion. Angular momentum takes into account an object's mass, distance from the axis of rotation, and its rotation speed, while linear momentum only considers an object's mass and velocity in a straight line.

3. How do I calculate the moment of inertia for a yo-yo on an inclined plane?

The moment of inertia for a yo-yo can be calculated by using the formula I = mr2, where m is the mass of the yo-yo and r is the radius of the yo-yo. On an inclined plane, the radius can be calculated by using the Pythagorean theorem, where r = √(h2 + d2), with h being the height of the inclined plane and d being the distance of the yo-yo from the axis of rotation.

4. How do I calculate the angular velocity of a yo-yo on an inclined plane?

The angular velocity of a yo-yo on an inclined plane can be calculated by using the formula ω = v/r, where v is the linear velocity of the yo-yo and r is the radius of the yo-yo. The linear velocity can be calculated by using the equation v = √(2gh), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and h is the height of the inclined plane.

5. Is the angular momentum of a yo-yo on an inclined plane conserved?

Yes, the angular momentum of a yo-yo on an inclined plane is conserved as long as there are no external forces or torques acting on the system. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.