Calculating work using hookes law

In summary, the task at hand is to calculate the work done in Joules for a system in which a muscle of 1cm^2 cross section and 10cm length is stretched to 11cm by hanging a mass on it. The muscle behaves like a spring with a spring constant of 1000 kg/s^2. The integral is set up using Hooke's law and the work is calculated to be -50 J. The units of the numbers should be included in the calculation.
dw10

Homework Statement

Calculate the work done, in Joules for a system in which a muscle of 1cm^2 cross section and 10cm length is stretched to 11cm by hanging a mass on it. The muscle behaves like a spring. The spring constant for the muscle was determined by finding that the muscle exerts a force of 5.00N when it is stretched from 10.0cm to 10.5cm

Homework Equations

Is spring constant (-k) calculated simply by dividing .005m into 5.00N? (because F= -kx, and -k = F/x) = -1000.

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't think my answer will be correct because i have a feeling that I am calculating k incorrectly??
OK so assuming I am doing it right though...

i set up the integral using hookes law:

|work| = int (from .10m to .11m) -k (x - x0)dx

= int (from .10m to .11m) -1000 (x - x0)dx
then i took constants out of integral and integrated...

|work| = -1000/2 * |from .10m to .11m [ (xf-x0)^2 - (xi - x0)^2]

i don't want to proceed further unless i am on right track (which i doubt) thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Right. k=1000*kg/s^2. Put units on the these numbers, ok? They aren't dimensionless. Now continue with the second part.

I would first clarify the units being used in this problem. The spring constant, k, should have units of N/m, not N/cm as suggested in the attempted solution.

To calculate the work done by the muscle, we can use the formula W = 1/2 * k * (x2^2 - x1^2), where k is the spring constant and x2 and x1 are the final and initial lengths of the muscle, respectively.

In this case, x2 = 11cm and x1 = 10cm, so the work done would be:

W = 1/2 * (5 N/cm) * [(11 cm)^2 - (10 cm)^2] = 5.5 J

It is important to use consistent units in calculations to ensure the accuracy of the result.

Additionally, the spring constant should not be calculated by dividing 5.00N by 0.005m, as the units do not match (N/m vs. N/cm). The correct way to determine the spring constant would be to rearrange the equation F = -kx and solve for k using the given values of force and displacement.

Related to Calculating work using hookes law

What is Hooke's law?

Hooke's law is a principle in physics that describes the relationship between the force applied to an object and the resulting deformation of the object. It states that the force applied is directly proportional to the amount of deformation, as long as the object remains within its elastic limit.

How do you calculate work using Hooke's law?

To calculate work using Hooke's law, you first need to determine the force applied to the object and the distance the object is deformed. Then, you can use the formula W = 1/2 kx^2, where W is the work done, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance of deformation. Plug in these values and solve for W to calculate the work.

What is the unit of measurement for work in Hooke's law?

The unit of measurement for work in Hooke's law is joules (J). This is the same unit used to measure energy.

What is the elastic limit in Hooke's law?

The elastic limit in Hooke's law is the maximum amount of stress or force that an object can withstand while still returning to its original shape when the force is removed. Beyond the elastic limit, the object will become permanently deformed.

Can Hooke's law be applied to all materials?

No, Hooke's law only applies to materials that have a linear relationship between force and deformation, known as elastic materials. Materials that do not follow this linear relationship, such as plastic, do not obey Hooke's law.