Calculating Work to Put Spacecraft in Orbit

In summary: How much work is required to lift a 1 kg block 10 meters?" You don't include the work done by gravity. You must apply 9.8 Newtons of force over 10 meters, which is 98 Joules of work. But, if you are asked "How much work is done by gravity when you lift a 1 kg block 10 meters?", then you must include the work done by gravity. The total KE at the end is zero, so the work done by gravity is also 98 Joules.In summary, the work required to move a 1500 kg spacecraft from Earth's surface to a fixed orbit at a height of 300 km above Earth's surface
AudenCalbray

Homework Statement

How much work is done moving a 1500 kg spacecraft from the Earth's surface into a fixed orbit at a height of 300 km above the Earth's surface?

Homework Equations

Eg = -Gm1m2/r
Ek = 1\2mv^2
mass of earth: 5.98 x 10^24 kg
radius of earth: 6.38 x 10^6 m

The Attempt at a Solution

So the change in Eg plus the change in Ek is equal to 0. I solved the problem without using the 300 km or the mass of the spacecraft and I know it is wrong. I got the escape velocity (11000 m/s) and then got the kinetic energy, assuming Ek2 was 0.
I restarted the problem, and now my conservation of energy equation reads: Ek = Eg2-Eg1, again assuming Ek2 is zero, which is wrong, but I do not know how the get the change in energy otherwise. I would love some help on this. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Gravitational acceleration is a function of distance from the earth. Therefore the potential energy change is a calculus problem.

LawrenceC said:
Gravitational acceleration is a function of distance from the earth. Therefore the potential energy change is a calculus problem.

Sorry, I still don't understand how to solve this.

The work required equals the change in potential and kinetic energies. Both are zero on Earth's surface. You have to achieve an escape velocity at a certain altitude. The escape velocity is used to compute the kinetic energy while the mass raised to an altitude is used to compute the potential energy. The sum of the two is the work required. However, the potential energy is a calculus problem necessitating an integration. Integration is calculus which you probably have not studied.

You can avoid the integration and accept some error by choosing a mean value of gravitational acceleration and treating it as a constant. This is probably not a bad idea in view of the fact that air resistance is being ignored.

AudenCalbray said:
So the change in Eg plus the change in Ek is equal to 0.
Why do think this?

The work done will equal the change in total energy. What's the final energy of the orbiting spacecraft ? What's the initial energy?

Doc Al said:
Why do think this?

The work done will equal the change in total energy. What's the final energy of the orbiting spacecraft ? What's the initial energy?

They want the kinetic work, so the change in kinetic energy is the answer. I think.

What is 'kinetic work'?

Doc Al said:
What is 'kinetic work'?

Change in kinetic energy, as I understand it.

AudenCalbray said:
Change in kinetic energy, as I understand it.
Work is change in total energy.

Doc Al said:

If it was, wouldn't work always be 0 then?

AudenCalbray said:
If it was, wouldn't work always be 0 then?
No. Why do you think the total energy doesn't change?

Doc Al said:
No. Why do you think the total energy doesn't change?

This is a conservation of energy question.

AudenCalbray said:
This is a conservation of energy question.
It's an energy problem, but energy is not conserved. Work is being done!

Work = ΔPE + ΔKE

Don't assume that ΔPE + ΔKE = 0.

Doc Al said:
It's an energy problem, but energy is not conserved. Work is being done!

Work = ΔPE + ΔKE

Don't assume that ΔPE + ΔKE = 0.

Okay, so how do I solve it?

LawrenceC said:

Yes, but 300 km is not very large compared to the radius of the Earth (~6000 km) so if this was done without calculus it would still give a reasonable answer.

LawrenceC said:
You have to achieve an escape velocity at a certain altitude. The escape velocity is used to compute the kinetic energy while the mass raised to an altitude is used to compute the potential energy. The sum of the two is the work required. However, the potential energy is a calculus problem necessitating an integration. Integration is calculus which you probably have not studied.

It is probably confusing to use the term "escape velocity" when the Earth's gravitational field is not actually being escaped here.

Doc Al said:

It it always clearest to remember the work-kinetic energy theorem. Work is a change in kinetic energy; if the kinetic energy does not change, that means the net work done during the process is zero. However, in this case the kinetic energy does change (since the spacecraft starts at rest and ends at orbital speed). So there is a net amount of work being done to the spacecraft . The question is slightly ambiguous; if you are being asked how much work is done only by the thrust of the spacecraft itself, then you have to subtract out the work done by the gravitational field first.

Steely Dan said:
Yes, but 300 km is not very large compared to the radius of the Earth (~6000 km) so if this was done without calculus it would still give a reasonable answer.
Any calculus needed has already been done. Note the formula for gravitational PE in the first post.
It it always clearest to remember the work-kinetic energy theorem. Work is a change in kinetic energy; if the kinetic energy does not change, that means the net work done during the process is zero. However, in this case the kinetic energy does change (since the spacecraft starts at rest and ends at orbital speed). So there is a net amount of work being done to the spacecraft . The question is slightly ambiguous; if you are being asked how much work is done only by the thrust of the spacecraft itself, then you have to subtract out the work done by the gravitational field first.
When they ask for the work done, I highly doubt they mean to include the work done by gravity. (That's reflected in the gravitational PE term.) They mean the work that must be done by some applied force to get the spaceship into orbit. For example: If you are asked how much work is required to raise something x meters, would you think they want an answer of zero? After all, the net work would be zero (assuming the speed doesn't change).

But I admit that it is somewhat ambiguous.

It is true that the work done by all forces (including gravity) equals the change in KE. But if you want the work done by some applied force (not including gravity), it equals the change in KE+PE.

Doc Al said:
When they ask for the work done, I highly doubt they mean to include the work done by gravity. (That's reflected in the gravitational PE term.) They mean the work that must be done by some applied force to get the spaceship into orbit. For example: If you are asked how much work is required to raise something x meters, would you think they want an answer of zero? After all, the net work would be zero (assuming the speed doesn't change).

I tend to assume that the person who wrote the question meant what they said unless otherwise specified. At any rate, as long as you specify which question you are answering, you should be fine.

Steely Dan said:
I tend to assume that the person who wrote the question meant what they said unless otherwise specified. At any rate, as long as you specify which question you are answering, you should be fine.

Thank you both very much. :)

Related to Calculating Work to Put Spacecraft in Orbit

1. How is work calculated to put a spacecraft in orbit?

The work required to put a spacecraft in orbit is calculated using the formula W = Fd, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance traveled. In this case, the force is the thrust of the rocket engines and the distance is the height of the orbit achieved.

2. What factors affect the amount of work needed to put a spacecraft in orbit?

The amount of work needed to put a spacecraft in orbit is affected by several factors, including the mass of the spacecraft, the velocity needed to achieve the desired orbit, the gravitational pull of the Earth, and air resistance.

3. How does the shape of the orbit affect the amount of work needed?

The shape of the orbit can greatly affect the amount of work needed to put a spacecraft in orbit. For example, achieving a circular orbit requires less work than achieving an elliptical orbit, as the spacecraft must travel a longer distance in an elliptical orbit.

4. Can the amount of work needed to put a spacecraft in orbit be reduced?

Yes, the amount of work needed to put a spacecraft in orbit can be reduced by using gravity assists from other planets or moons, which can provide a boost in velocity without using as much fuel. Additionally, using a more efficient rocket design and trajectory can also reduce the amount of work needed.

5. How does the work required to put a spacecraft in orbit compare to the work required to launch it into space?

The work required to put a spacecraft in orbit is generally much greater than the work required to launch it into space. This is because achieving orbit requires not only reaching a certain altitude, but also achieving a specific velocity and direction to maintain a stable orbit. Launching a spacecraft into space only requires reaching a certain altitude.