"Calculating Work Needed to Change Orbits

• Thread starter Identity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbits
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a shuttle deploying a satellite into orbit and calculating the work done by the shuttle. Two different methods are used, but both give different answers. The conversation also touches on the use of GPE and kinetic energy in the calculation and the concept of measuring r from the center of mass.
Identity

Homework Statement

A shuttle orbiting the Earth at 400km deploys a satellite of mass 800kg into orbit a further 200km from earth. Calculate the work that must be done by the shuttle to deploy the sattelite.

Homework Equations

[tex]E_{k} = \frac{GMm}{2r}[/tex], [tex]U = -\frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using [tex]W = \Delta E_{k}[/tex] to solve the problem:

[tex]800GM\left(\frac{1}{2 \times 600000} - \frac{1}{2 \times 400000}\right)=-1.334 \times 10^{11} J[/tex]

But the solutions gives [tex]1.4 \times 10^9 J[/tex]

Moreover, using the following method gives a different answer:

[tex]\int_{400000}^{600000} \frac{GM(800)}{r^2}dr=2.658 \times 10^{11} J[/tex]

But I thought [tex]E_{tot} = E_{k} + U[/tex], so [tex]\Delta E_{k} = -\Delta U[/tex] ??

Could someone tell me why my methods do not work and what the correct method is for dealing with this? Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
a case of mistaken Identity …

Hi Identity! :smile:
Identity said:
A shuttle orbiting the Earth at 400km deploys a satellite of mass 800kg into orbit a further 200km from earth. Calculate the work that must be done by the shuttle to deploy the sattelite.

Could someone tell me why my methods do not work

They do work …

but you need to measure r from … ? :wink:

Oh right I need to measure r from the centre of mass XD thanks tiny-tim

But

[tex]800GM\left(\frac{1}{2(6.4 \times 10^6 + 600000)} - \frac{1}{2(6.4 \times 10^6 + 400000)}\right)=-6.7 \times 10^8 J[/tex]

which is still different!

Also, when the satellite moves from 400km to 600km, is the total energy of the satellite constant? If so, why do I get different answers when working with GPE as opposed to Kinetic energy?

Identity said:
[tex]800GM\left(\frac{1}{2(6.4 \times 10^6 + 600000)} - \frac{1}{2(6.4 \times 10^6 + 400000)}\right)=-6.7 \times 10^8 J[/tex]

which is still different!

WIhtout seeing the details of your calculation, I can't check it …

but it would be a lot easier to use the formula 1/r - 1/(r + ∆) ~ ∆/r2 :wink:

anyway, going to bed now … :zzz:

lol I just plugged the whole calculation into my calculator...

Sorry I'm having some trouble understanding. Can you show me how you would do it?

Related to "Calculating Work Needed to Change Orbits

1. How is work needed to change orbits calculated?

The work needed to change orbits is calculated using the formula W = ∆E = ∆K + ∆U, where W is the work, ∆E is the change in total energy, ∆K is the change in kinetic energy, and ∆U is the change in potential energy.

2. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy in terms of orbit calculations?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration. In orbit calculations, kinetic energy is related to an object's speed and potential energy is related to its distance from the center of mass.

3. How does changing the mass of an object affect the work needed to change orbits?

The work needed to change orbits is directly proportional to the mass of the object. This means that as the mass increases, so does the work needed to change its orbit.

4. Can the work needed to change orbits be negative?

Yes, the work needed to change orbits can be negative. This occurs when the change in total energy is negative, meaning that the object's final orbit has a lower energy than its initial orbit. This is known as a negative work or a gain in potential energy.

5. How can the work needed to change orbits be applied to real-life situations?

The concept of calculating work needed to change orbits is crucial in spacecraft and satellite missions. It helps engineers determine the amount of energy and fuel required to change an object's orbit and reach its desired destination. This calculation is also used in astrophysics to study the orbits of celestial bodies and understand their movements in space.