Calculating Work in an Expanding Gas: Isobaric vs. Isothermal Processes

In summary, during an engineering thermodynamics lecture, the professor discussed an example of a gas doing work. The gas was contained in a cylinder and was released to flow out against atmospheric pressure until the pressures were equal. The temperature of the gas was assumed to be the same as the ambient air. The professor calculated the work as W = Patm*ΔV, but the student was unsure if this was correct for an isobaric process. The student was correct, as the gas pressure was dropping during the expansion. However, the professor's calculation was still valid as the pressure of the atmosphere can be assumed constant during the process. It depends on the definition of the system, but in this case, the professor's calculation was correct
moogull
Today in an engineering thermodynamics lecture, the professor gave an example of a gas doing work. We had a cylinder full of helium at a pressure of something like 200kPa absolute and the valve was opened so that the gas would flow out against the atmospheric pressure until the pressures were equal. Also the cylinder was assumed to be in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings so the temperature of the gas was equal to the temperature of the ambient air. However, the way he calculated the work perturbed me. He said that this was an isobaric process because the gas was expanding against a constant atmospheric pressure. I was under the assumption that an isobaric process means that the working fluid stays at constant pressure throughout the process which is not the case in this expansion. And in this case, the gas pressure is dropping as it leaves the cylinder.

The professor then proceeded to calculate the work as W = Patm*ΔV. But I don't think that is right and that simple.

Am I correct, or is the professor? Can someone please return me to sanity?

Physics news on Phys.org
moogull said:
He said that this was an isobaric process because the gas was expanding against a constant atmospheric pressure. I was under the assumption that an isobaric process means that the working fluid stays at constant pressure throughout the process which is not the case in this expansion. And in this case, the gas pressure is dropping as it leaves the cylinder.
You are right, the helium expands and its pressure decreases from 200kPa to atmospheric 100 kPa. Helium gas does not undergo isobaric process in the common sense of the word (atmosphere does).

moogull said:
The professor then proceeded to calculate the work as W = Patm*ΔV. But I don't think that is right and that simple.

Your professor is right this time - the work helium does on the atmosphere is indeed (approximately) W = Patm*ΔV, where ΔV is the volume of the helium gas outside the cylinder just after it escapes from it. After a while, the helium is heated by the atmosphere and expands even more and does further work, but this work is neglected in the above.

Thanks for the response Jano,

If the process is not isobaric, then why is the work not calculated using an integral and instead W = Patm*ΔV. I'm fairly certain he took the system as a control mass/closed system.

You can write the work as integral, but because the pressure of the atmosphere can be assumed constant during the process, the result is just ##P_{atm} \Delta V##.

Okay, so in this case, why is the pressure of the atmosphere the pressure used to calculate work and not the pressure of the working fluid?

What I mean to say is, why, since this is not an isobaric process, the work is calculated using a pressure that is assumed not to change?

edit: Looking at the atmosphere as the working fluid I agree that the work is defined P_atm*deltaV.

Last edited:
moogull said:
What I mean to say is, why, since this is not an isobaric process, the work is calculated using a pressure that is assumed not to change?

edit: Looking at the atmosphere as the working fluid I agree that the work is defined P_atm*deltaV.
It depends on what you define as your system. If you define your system as just the gas that remains in the cylinder after equilibration, then that gas has done work on expelling the gas from the cylinder, and the pressure at the interface with the gas that it expelled was not at constant pressure.

If you define your system by surrounding all the helium that was originally inside the cylinder with an imaginary moving boundary, then, throughout this process, different parts of the helium were at different pressures. However, at the imaginary boundary with the surrounding atmospheric air, the pressure was constant (atmospheric). In the first law, you calculate the work done on the surroundings by calculating the integral of the pressure at the interface with the surroundings integrated over the volume change. (See my Blog on my PF home page.) So, in the case of this system, your professor was correct.

Chet

Hello

Is it possible then to calculate the same work looking only at the work of the expanding gas inside the cylinder ?

I assume one would have to use d(PV) and then a equation of state for the process.

Odd

Odd said:
Hello

Is it possible then to calculate the same work looking only at the work of the expanding gas inside the cylinder ?

I assume one would have to use d(PV) and then a equation of state for the process.

Odd
You would just solve it as an isothermal reversible expansion. The real irreversibility occurs within the valve, where the pressure drops from that inside the cylinder to 1 atm.

Chet

Related to Calculating Work in an Expanding Gas: Isobaric vs. Isothermal Processes

What is work done by an expanding gas?

Work done by an expanding gas is a measure of the energy transferred from the gas to its surroundings as it expands. It is a form of mechanical work and is typically measured in joules (J).

How is work done by an expanding gas calculated?

The work done by an expanding gas can be calculated using the formula W = PΔV, where W is work, P is pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume. This formula assumes that the pressure is constant during the expansion process.

What are the units of work done by an expanding gas?

The units of work done by an expanding gas are joules (J) in the SI system. In other systems of measurement, such as the British thermal unit (BTU) or calorie (cal), the units of work are different.

What factors affect the work done by an expanding gas?

The work done by an expanding gas is affected by several factors, including the initial and final volumes of the gas, the pressure of the gas, and the type of expansion (isothermal, adiabatic, etc.). The work done can also be influenced by external factors such as friction and heat transfer.

What is the significance of work done by an expanding gas?

The work done by an expanding gas is an important concept in thermodynamics and is used to understand and analyze various processes involving gases, such as engines and refrigeration systems. It also helps in determining the amount of energy transferred during an expansion process and can be used to calculate the efficiency of a system.