Calculating work in a hemispherical tank

• Thread starter Mangoes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tank Work
In summary, the problem involves calculating the work required to fill a hemispherical tank with water through a hole in the base, taking into account the pressure of the water and the distance it needs to be moved. This can be solved by integrating the pressure multiplied by the distance from the base to the water level.
Mangoes
This actually is from a calculus course, but the problem's a physics application. I was unsure if whether or not I should ask this in the math section or the physics section, so apologies if this doesn't exactly fit in here.

Homework Statement

"A hemispherical tank of radius 6 feet is positioned so that its base is circular. How much work is required to fill the tank with water through a hole in the base if the water source is at the base?"

The answer is wanted in foot-pounds and water is given to weigh 62.4 pounds per cubic foot.

The Attempt at a Solution

Work is the product of distance and a force.

To express force:

If I made a slice of a height of Δy, it would have a volume of pi*r^2*Δy. The radius is also equivalent to the x-coordinate of the semicircle. However, since I'll eventually be integrating with respect to y, I'd like to write the radius in terms of y.

Choosing to place the origin at the center of my hemisphere, http://i.imgur.com/eacNB.png

[tex] x^2 + y^2 = 36 [/tex]
[tex] x^2 = 36 - y^2 [/tex]
[tex] x = - \sqrt{36 - y^2} [/tex]

Plugging this in as the value of my radius gives the dimensions of slice in terms of y. I'd like to approximate the force in this volume, so I multiply the dimensions by 62.4 (the force of water per cubic foot)and I'll use that expression to express force.

[tex] ΔF = (62.4\pi)(36 - y^2) Δy [/tex]

Now, the distance, d, required for the water to move from the base to some level of the tank is d = y + 6. My reasoning here is that at the lowest level of the tank, y = -6, the distance would be 0 and it'll increase as y goes towards 0.

[tex] Δw = (62.4\pi)(36 - y^2)(y + 6) Δy [/tex]

As Δy approaches 0,

[tex] w = \int (62.4\pi)(36 - y^2)(y + 6) dy [/tex]

I don't know how to write limits of integration on here, but I'd say I'd have to integrate from -6 to 0.

I didn't feel like actually going through the algebra, but when I evaluate the definite integral through wolframalpha, the number that comes out doesn't match the answer.

As far as I can tell, there isn't any error with units and I can't see what I'm doing wrong. I've done a couple of these problems already, but this is my first one with a hemispherical tank, so the shape might be the source of my problems.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The main issue with your attempt at a solution is that you have not considered the pressure of the water when calculating the work. The pressure of the water is an important factor in determining the amount of work required to fill the tank. When you integrate, you should be integrating the pressure of the water (in this case, 62.4 pounds per cubic foot) multiplied by the distance moved (which, in this case, would be y + 6). This will give you the total work required to fill the tank.

1. How do you calculate the volume of a hemispherical tank?

The volume of a hemispherical tank can be calculated using the formula V = (2/3)πr^3, where V is the volume and r is the radius of the tank.

2. What is the formula for calculating the surface area of a hemispherical tank?

The surface area of a hemispherical tank can be calculated using the formula A = 3πr^2, where A is the surface area and r is the radius of the tank.

3. How do you convert the volume of a hemispherical tank from cubic meters to liters?

To convert the volume of a hemispherical tank from cubic meters to liters, you can use the conversion factor 1 cubic meter = 1000 liters. So, the volume in cubic meters can be multiplied by 1000 to get the volume in liters.

4. What is the equation for calculating the work done by a fluid in a hemispherical tank?

The work done by a fluid in a hemispherical tank can be calculated using the equation W = P∆V, where W is the work, P is the pressure, and ∆V is the change in volume of the fluid.

5. How do you determine the height of the fluid in a hemispherical tank?

The height of the fluid in a hemispherical tank can be determined by dividing the volume of the fluid by the cross-sectional area of the tank, which can be calculated using the formula A = πr^2. So, the height can be calculated using the formula h = V / (πr^2).