Calculating Work for a Bead on a Square Loop in an Electric Field

In summary, the task is to calculate the work (W) of a small bead located on a square loop in the xz plane with dimensions (±R, 0, ±R) when an electric field ##\vec{E}(\vec{r})=-Cx\hat{z}## is turned on. The equation ##W= \int q\vec{E}\cdot dl## is used and after some calculations, it is determined that the total work is equal to 2 times the quantity ##-CqR^2##, as there is no work done at points where z=±R and the component of the field along the wire is zero.
scorpius1782

Homework Statement

A small bead is on square loop in the xz plane with dimensions (±R, 0, ±R). An electric field is turned that is ##\vec{E}(\vec{r})=-Cx\hat{z}##

Calculate W

Homework Equations

##W= \int q\vec{E}\bullet dl##

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting with z direction:

[tex]q\int_{-R}^R -Cx\hat{z} (dx\hat{x} + dy\hat{y}+ dz\hat{z})[/tex]

=##-Cq \frac {x^2}{2} |_{-R}^R=-CqR^2##

I believe that the total work would just be 2 times this quantity because since the E field isn't in the correct direction in order to move the charge in the x direction. But this doesn't make sense to me within the problem context. Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi scorpius1782! :smile:

(type \cdot not \bullet :wink:)
scorpius1782 said:
[tex]q\int_{-R}^R -Cx\hat{z} (dx\hat{x} + dy\hat{y}+ dz\hat{z})[/tex]

sorry, but that makes no sense :redface:

you need to write a dot product

try again (and use a specific arm of the loop) :smile:

thank you for the \cdot! I couldn't remember what it was (kept thinking \vdot) so I gave up and used bullet.
the vertical (z) part of the box from -R to R at x=-R
##\int_{-R}^R-Cqx\hat{z}\cdot dz \hat{z}##

I didn't think of it before but since here x=-R I can put that in for x in this integral. I believe that since there is no change in x or y then dx and dy are zero.

This means that ##CqR\int_{-R}^R\hat{z}\hat{z}dz=CqR(R+R)=2CqR^2##

Then for x=R: ##\int_{R}^{-R}-CqR\hat{z}\cdot dz \hat{z}##
##=-CqR\int_{R}^{-R}\hat{z}\hat{z}dz=-CqR(-R-R)=-2CqR^2##

Is this better?

scorpius1782 said:
… x=-R …

This means that ##CqR\int_{-R}^R\hat{z}\hat{z}dz=CqR(R+R)=2CqR^2##

yes :smile:
Then for x=R: ##\int_{R}^{-R}-CqR\hat{z}\cdot dz \hat{z}##
##=-CqR\int_{R}^{-R}\hat{z}\hat{z}dz=-CqR(-R-R)=-2CqR^2##

erm :rolleyes:

Hmm, seems I didn't distribute my negative sign there!

are you in the loop now? o:)

I am, thank you. I assume since you made no comment that my understanding of the horizontal forcei is correct? That is where z=±R there is no work?

yes, for displacement of constant z, the component of the field along the wire is zero, so the work done is zero :smile:

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the help!

Related to Calculating Work for a Bead on a Square Loop in an Electric Field

1. What is the formula for calculating the work done on a charged square loop?

The formula for calculating the work done on a charged square loop is W = q * V, where q is the charge on the loop and V is the potential difference.

2. How does the orientation of the loop affect the work done on it?

The orientation of the loop does not affect the work done on it, as long as the loop remains in a constant magnetic field. The work done is solely dependent on the charge and potential difference.

3. Can the work done on a charged square loop be negative?

Yes, the work done on a charged square loop can be negative if the loop moves in a direction opposite to the electric field. This indicates that energy is being taken away from the system.

4. How does the work done on a square loop differ from a circular loop?

The work done on a square loop differs from a circular loop in terms of the shape of the loop and the calculation of the potential difference. For a circular loop, the potential difference is calculated using V = (B * R)^2, where B is the magnetic field and R is the radius of the loop. However, for a square loop, the potential difference is calculated using V = B * l, where l is the length of one side of the loop.

5. What units are used to measure the work done on a charged square loop?

The work done on a charged square loop is measured in joules (J), which is the standard unit of energy in the International System of Units (SI).