Calculating Work Done on an Accelerating Box

In summary, a 6.0kg box is accelerated from rest at a rate of 2.0m/s^2 for 7.0s. Using the equations for work and distance, the net work done on the box is calculated to be 588J. The solution is correct, but the textbook's answer of 590J may have been rounded up from the calculated value.
fiziks09

Homework Statement

A box of mass 6.0kg is accelerated from rest by a force across the floor at a rate of 2.0m/s for 7.0s. Find the net work done on the box.

Homework Equations

Work done = Force x distance

The Attempt at a Solution

F = ma
F = 6 x 2 = 12N
i solved for final velocity i.e

V = u + at
= 0 + 2(7)
V = 14m/s.

i solved for distance

using v^2 = u^2 + 2as i.e
169 = 0 + 4s
s = 169/4
s = 49
we know that W = fd; thus
W = 12 x 49
W = 588J.

Please i just want to know if my solution is correct. The answer in my textbook is 590J. I'm assuming it was rounded up but i just want to be sure. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is correct, as long as the box is accelerated from rest by a force across the floor at a rate of 2.0m/s2, not 2.0 m/s as you have posted.

yeah.. it is m/s^2 .. my mistake
thanks

Related to Calculating Work Done on an Accelerating Box

What is work done?

Work done is the amount of energy transferred by a force acting on an object, in the direction of the force's motion.

How is work done calculated?

Work done is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

What units are used to measure work done?

The SI unit for work done is joules (J). Other common units include foot-pounds (ft-lb) and calories (cal).

Can negative work be done?

Yes, negative work can be done when the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a decrease in the object's energy.

What are some real-world examples of work done?

Some examples of work done include lifting objects, pushing a car, and using a tool to do a task. Any time a force causes an object to move, work is being done.