Calculating Work Done: Elevator Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses using the work-energy theorem to calculate the work done when an elevator cabin, weighing 3000 lb, is lifted up 120 feet by a counterweight of 3200 lb connected by a cable of length 200 feet. The participants also consider the use of physics equations and gravitational potential energy to solve the problem. They discuss the appropriate placement of the origin of the coordinate axis.
renyikouniao
An elevator cabin which weighs 3000 lb is lifted up 120 feet. It is connected with a counterweight of 3200 lb by a cable of length 200 feet weighing 4 lb per feet.

What work is done (or gained) if

a) the counterweight comes to rest at the same position as original position of the cabin,

b) 20 feet below the original position of the cabin.

Assume that the circumference of the turning wheel of the cable is 10 feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would use the work-energy theorem here. The change in energy will be the amount of work done. Can you compute $\Delta E$?

I don't know how to do this.Can you explain this for me?

First let me ask if this is for a physics course or for a calculus course...i.e., are you expected to do this dynamically or are you allowed to use energy considerations. Have you recently been studying gravitational potential energy?

It's calculus,yes we can use physics equations.And I do know some..But I don't know where to begin.
MarkFL said:
First let me ask if this is for a physics course or for a calculus course...i.e., are you expected to do this dynamically or are you allowed to use energy considerations. Have you recently been studying gravitational potential energy?

Okay, do you know how to determine the gravitational potential energy of an object?

MarkFL said:
Okay, do you know how to determine the gravitational potential energy of an object?

mgh?

Yes, good! :D

So where do you think would be an appropriate place to orient the origin of our coordinate axis?

Related to Calculating Work Done: Elevator Problem

What is the formula for calculating work done in an elevator problem?

The formula for calculating work done in an elevator problem is W = Fd, where W represents work, F represents the force applied, and d represents the distance the force is applied over.

What is the unit of measurement for work done?

The unit of measurement for work done is joules (J) in the International System of Units (SI).

Can the work done in an elevator problem be negative?

Yes, the work done in an elevator problem can be negative if the force applied is in the opposite direction of the motion. For example, if a person pushes down on the elevator floor while it is moving up, the work done will be negative.

How does the weight of the elevator affect the work done?

The weight of the elevator does not affect the work done in an elevator problem. The work done is only dependent on the force applied and the distance the force is applied over.

What are the key assumptions made in calculating work done in an elevator problem?

The key assumptions made in calculating work done in an elevator problem are that the elevator is moving at a constant speed and there is no friction or other external forces acting on the elevator.