Calculating Work Done by a Gas on a p-V Diagram

In summary: So the rectangle would have an area of 40 Pa times 1 m^3 = 40 Joules I'm assuming. And the triangle would be 1/2 (1 m^3)(40 Pa) = 20 Joules so 40 + 20 = 60 Joules. Is that correct?Yes, that is correct. The rectangle is the area under the constant pressure part of the process, and the triangle is the area under the changing pressure part. Adding them together gives us the total work done by the gas. Great job!In summary, the gas in the given problem expands from Vo to 4.0Vo while its pressure decreases from po to po/4.0. The
jr662
45. A gas sample expands from Vo to 4.0Vo while its pressure decreases from po to po/4.0. If Vo = 1.0m^3 and po = 40 Pa, how much work is done by the gas if its pressure changes with volume via (a) path A, (b) path B, and (c) path C?

The p-V diagram can be found at the following addrs on slide/pg #37: http://people.virginia.edu/~ral5q/classes/phys631/summer09/Lecture_pdf/FINAL_LECTURE13.pdf

I know that the relevant equation here is Delta E = Q - W, and based on the given data is adiabatic and isothermal --> meaning Q=0 and T=>constant..

Physics news on Phys.org
Please do not post the entire lecture notes in the future. It is confusing. Just select the piece that you need.

There is no adiabatic or isothermal process in the pV diagram that you mention. The work done by the gas is the area under the curve in the pV diagram. If you are looking for kust the work, that's all you need to use.

Kuruman,,,sorry for any confusion. Anyhow, could you please confirm if the equation i am suppose to use is => W = nRT ln (Vf/Vi) ? Where n =1 R = 8.31...im not sure how to plug in the different values with the given info..

Not confirmed. The expression you have quoted is for an isothermal process in which the pressure and the volume are inversely proportional. Just because the final temperature and the initial temperature are the same, this does not mean that the process is isothermal. The pV diagram shows three different paths for going from the initial state to the final, all of which involve straight lines, none of which is isothermal.

The work done by the gas is given by

[tex]W=\int p dV[/tex]

which is the area under the curve in a pV diagram. If the processes involve straight lines only, you don't really need integration. Just a little bit of geometry ...

Kuruman, I've read that W = integral pdV is true only if pressure is constant and the question states that the "pressure decreases" and "how much work is done by the gas if its pressure changes with volume." ?? I'm still confused, I guess this is what happens when your textbook doesn't hasnt come in yet and your researching all the assigned homework problems online...Anyhow, hopefully you can help.

Ok, so apparently W is always the area under the curve of a p-V graph. So would W for Path (a) be = 160 and (c) 10 and (b) = ??

a) delta p = 0 ... and v increased (4.0 x 1.0 m^3) = 4 x po = 4 x 40 Pa = 160

? I'll never figure this problem out!

Sorry, so i got path a and c:

a) delta P = 0...delta V=4.0Vo-Vo and Po = 40 so W=Po(deltaV) = 120 Joules (i don't know how joules is derived, besides the fact that we are looking for W and it is joules usually..
c) delta V= 0...delta p = (Po/4.0) - Po = 30 and W = p(delta v) so W = 30 x 1 = 30 joules
b) clueless...i think i found somewhere online where it = 75 joules...i have no idea how they got that number...

jr662 said:
Sorry, so i got path a and c:

a) delta P = 0...delta V=4.0Vo-Vo and Po = 40 so W=Po(deltaV) = 120 Joules (i don't know how joules is derived, besides the fact that we are looking for W and it is joules usually..
Do dimensional analysis on pV to see how you get Joules.
c) delta V= 0...delta p = (Po/4.0) - Po = 30 and W = p(delta v) so W = 30 x 1 = 30 joules
Looks OK.
b) clueless...i think i found somewhere online where it = 75 joules...i have no idea how they got that number...
You have a right triangle sitting on top of a rectangle. Can you figure out their combined area?

Awesome!

Related to Calculating Work Done by a Gas on a p-V Diagram

What is the significance of the "Q" on a p-V diagram?

The "Q" on a p-V diagram represents the amount of heat added or removed from a system. It is typically measured in joules (J) or calories (cal).

What does the "W" on a p-V diagram stand for?

The "W" on a p-V diagram represents the work done by or on a system. It is measured in joules (J) or pressure-volume units (J/m^3).

Why is the area under the curve on a p-V diagram equal to the change in internal energy (Delta E)?

The area under the curve on a p-V diagram represents the work done by or on a system, which is equal to the change in internal energy (Delta E) according to the first law of thermodynamics. This is known as the work-energy theorem.

Can the p-V diagram be used to calculate the change in temperature (Delta T) of a system?

No, the p-V diagram alone cannot be used to calculate the change in temperature (Delta T) of a system. Other variables such as the specific heat capacity and mass of the system are also needed to calculate the change in temperature.

How can the p-V diagram be used to analyze the efficiency of a thermodynamic process?

The p-V diagram can be used to analyze the efficiency of a thermodynamic process by calculating the work done by the system and comparing it to the amount of heat added or removed. The efficiency can then be calculated using the equation: Efficiency = (work done by the system / heat added or removed) x 100%.