Calculating Work Done by a 2-D Force

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the work done by a 2-D force that moves a particle from one position to another. The formula for work done in higher dimensions is explained through an integral and dot product. The problem is simplified by noting that the force is conservative. The total work is found by summing the two components of work done in the x and y directions.
jl9999
"Work Done by 2-D Force"
What work is done by a force = ((1 N/m)x) + (4 N), with x in meters, that moves a particle from a position 1 = (2 m) + (3 m) to a position 2 = - (4 m) - (3 m)?

I figured all I would have to do is find the displacement of the x and y coordinates after the force had acted on them and then multiply the displacement vectors by their corresponding x and y force vectors, then use some trig to get the total work done. The answer I came up with was 35J, which of course was wrong. What am I missing? any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The x-component has to be integrated, since force isn't a constant.

The exact formula for work done in higher dimensions along some curve is this.

[tex]W = \int_{r_0}^{r_1}F(r) \cdot dl[/tex]

Note the scalar product between the force and displacement along curve.

Is this notation something you can make sense of, or do you need help breaking it down into geometric terms?

Yeah, I can't make complete sense of the notation. I'm guessing it's something about an integral and a dot product but I might need a little extra push. thanks

Well, in the problem you posted, the first simplification is noting that force is conservative. (You might want to look that up if you don't know how I know this.) That means that the work is the same regardless of the path taken. So let us move in just the X direction first, and then in just the Y direction.

The dot product means that we are only interested in force component along displacement. Since we are going to move along x first, only Fx is of interest. The integral becomes.

[tex]W_x = \int_{x_1}^{x_2} F_x(x, y) dx = \int_{2m}^{-4m} 1\frac{N}{m} x dx = \frac{1}{2}\frac{N}{m}\left((-4m)^2 - (2m)^2\right) = 6 Nm = 6J[/tex]

Note that if Fx actually depended on y, you'd have to use y1, since no displacement in y took place yet. In contrast, on the second step, when moving in y direction, you'd be keeping x=x2. Of course, you could have started with y first, but again, in this case, it does not matter. And second step, similarly.

[tex]W_y = \int_{y_1}^{y_2} F_y(x, y) dy = \int_{3m}^{-3m} 4N dy = 4N\left((-3m) - 3m\right) = -24Nm = -24J[/tex]

The total work is just the sum of the two, W = -18J.

I don't know how much you know about the integration, but it's basically area under the curve. If the curve goes negative, these regions are counted as negative area. Similarly, integrating from right to left gives the same answer as from left to right, but with a minus sign. Sketching Fx as function of x and Fy as function of y, and looking at the areas from x1 to x2 and from y1 to y2 respectively, should tell you where the integration results come from.

Now that I look at it again with your explanation in my mind it seems very easy. Anyway, thanks for your help and the quick tutorial.

Related to Calculating Work Done by a 2-D Force

1. What is work done by a 2-D force?

The work done by a 2-D force is the amount of energy transferred when an object is moved by that force in a two-dimensional space. It is a measure of the force's ability to do work on an object.

2. How is work done by a 2-D force calculated?

Work done by a 2-D force is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. This can be represented mathematically as W = F * d.

3. What are some examples of 2-D forces?

Some examples of 2-D forces include gravity, friction, tension, and normal force. These forces act in two dimensions and can cause objects to move or change direction.

4. Can work done by a 2-D force be negative?

Yes, work done by a 2-D force can be negative. This occurs when the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in the force doing negative work or taking energy away from the object.

5. How is work done by a 2-D force related to the concept of energy?

Work done by a 2-D force is directly related to the concept of energy. Energy is defined as the capacity to do work, and work done by a force is a measure of the energy transferred. In other words, work done by a 2-D force is a way of quantifying the change in an object's energy due to the force acting on it.