Calculating Work and Velocity on a Water Slide

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of mechanical work done by gravity and a confusion about the dimensions of a water slide problem. It is suggested that the hypotenuse and vertical side may have been swapped, making the slide much taller and steeper than any seen before.
vxr
Homework Statement
A person of mass ##m = 75## kg slides a distance ##d = 5## m on a straight water slide, dropping through a vertical height ##h = 25## m. Determine the mechanical work done by gravity on the person? What is the height h if the mechanical work done by the gravity is ##W = 2010## J?
Relevant Equations
Probably some of these:
##E = mgh + \frac{1}{2} mv^2##
##W = \Delta \frac{1}{2} mv^2##
I don't really understand if the initial horizontal velocity is 0? Or do I assume it's some constant? Putting aside vertical velocity.

Also how should the "mechanical work done by gravity" be calculated? Is it just ##W = \frac{1}{2}mv^2_{final} - \frac{1}{2}mv^2_{initial}##

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The mechanical work done by gravity is ##m\vec g \cdot \vec d## where ##\vec d ## is the displacement vector.

What does ##d=5## m mean ? in the context of dropping through 25 m !

I am really unsure. I tried to draw it and I came up with this:

The statement of the problem makes one believe that the slide is an inclined plane of 5 m hypotenuse and vertical side 25 m. This is impossible unless the vertical side is something else, 2.5 m perhaps?

Perhaps it should have said
A person of mass m=75 kg slides a horizontal distance d=5 m on a straight water slide, while dropping through a vertical height h=25 m.
?? That would mean the hypotenuse is sqrt(5^2 + 25^2) m.

Last edited:
sojsail said:
Perhaps it should have said ?? That would mean the hypotenuse is sqrt(5^2 + 25^2) m.
That would make it far taller and steeper than any I've seen.
More likely the two numbers are swapped over: 5m vertical, 25m hypotenuse.

Related to Calculating Work and Velocity on a Water Slide

1. How does sliding on a water slide work?

Sliding on a water slide involves the principles of gravity and friction. When a person goes down the slide, gravity pulls them down while the water on the slide creates a layer of lubrication, reducing friction and allowing the person to slide smoothly.

2. Is sliding on a water slide safe?

When used properly and with the appropriate safety precautions, sliding on a water slide is generally considered safe. However, it is important to follow all rules and guidelines set by the water park or facility and to use caution while sliding.

3. How fast can you go on a water slide?

The speed at which a person can go on a water slide depends on various factors, such as the height and steepness of the slide, the person's weight, and the amount of water on the slide. Generally, a person can reach speeds of 10-15 miles per hour on a water slide.

4. What are the benefits of sliding on a water slide?

Sliding on a water slide can provide numerous benefits, such as a fun and exhilarating experience, a way to cool off on a hot day, and a low-impact form of exercise. It can also improve balance, coordination, and spatial awareness.

5. Can sliding on a water slide be educational?

Sliding on a water slide can be educational for children as it allows them to learn about the laws of physics, such as gravity, motion, and friction, in a hands-on and engaging way. It can also teach them about water safety and following rules and instructions.